Mediaportal Vs AltDvb (1 Viewer)

spinmar

Portal Pro
January 25, 2007
Home Country
Italy Italy
Yesterday I installed the last version of TvEngine + svn and I configured it.
In the section Tv of Mediaportal I chose to use PowerdDvd 7 video and audio decoders and vmr9.
Then I start mediaportal and I start to see tv.
I chose , as channel, canale5 (mediaset): if I change to full screen the image is not as good as I expected. There is some pixelling problems.
Then I closed mediaportal and I started alt-dvb2.2: I chose to use PowerdDvd 7 video and audio decoders and vmr9.
Same channel and full screen.
The image is much better: more fluid and no pixellings problem.
Why?
The decoders used are the same and then I should have expected same results....

dinky

Portal Member
February 7, 2007
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Post processing filters either in use/not in use on either app is the only thing that comes to mind. Shouldn't be TV engine that affects this anyway - the image rendering is still done by media portal, so I suppose the thread title should be MediaPortal Vs AltDvb. May get more responses in the other forum.

spinmar

Portal Pro
January 25, 2007
Home Country
Italy Italy
I don't use any PP filters.
You are right: the correct title is Mediaportal Vs AltDvb2.2
I corrected it ;)
I think that the tv section of mediaportal is very important: everyone uses it. So if there are these differences between it and altdvb, I think it's not a good start point for mediaportal...:confused:

aikon

Portal Member
July 21, 2005
Odense
Home Country
Denmark Denmark
Ideas?
Any comments?

Yes - i have examined it.It's because of the low bitrate the tv-server encodes/decodes the signal with. So we just need to find a way to encrease the bitrate!!!

I have not found any information on this for the new tv server...I hope the developers can give us a hint VERY SOON - it's a MUST that the TV-quality is good, otherwise I cannot use it..

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Ideas?
    Any comments?

Yes - i have examined it.It's because of the low bitrate the tv-server encodes/decodes the signal with. So we just need to find a way to encrease the bitrate!!!

I have not found any information on this for the new tv server...I hope the developers can give us a hint VERY SOON - it's a MUST that the TV-quality is good, otherwise I cannot use it..

DVB stream is not re-encoded or altered by the tv server in any way so that cannot be the reason for the difference.

aikon

Portal Member
    July 21, 2005
    Odense
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Sorry - I'm using an analog card (pvr 500). So I was NOT refering to digital tv ...my problem is with the low bitrate for analog tv..

lar282

Portal Pro
    July 11, 2004
    Yesterday I installed the last version of TvEngine + svn and I configured it.
    In the section Tv of Mediaportal I chose to use PowerdDvd 7 video and audio decoders and vmr9.
    Then I start mediaportal and I start to see tv.
    I chose , as channel, canale5 (mediaset): if I change to full screen the image is not as good as I expected. There is some pixelling problems.
    Then I closed mediaportal and I started alt-dvb2.2: I chose to use PowerdDvd 7 video and audio decoders and vmr9.
    Same channel and full screen.
    The image is much better: more fluid and no pixellings problem.
    Why?
    The decoders used are the same and then I should have expected same results....
    Double check the decoder used in the movie and dvd section of the configuration program. Someone said that the new tv engine does NOT use the TV section for configuration, but the movie section!!!!

//Lasse

mrmojo666

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 24, 2006
    Turin
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    Ideas?
    Any comments?

DVB stream is not re-encoded or altered by the tv server in any way so that cannot be the reason for the difference.

i'm not an expert, but i'm sure Mediaportal have some bugs (or is not completly developed) in the use of advanced mpeg decoders like purevideo , seems don't use special filters or special features of that decoder....... if play a dvb-record with theatertek i get best picture then MP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom