MediaPortal with DVDs on Samba network, and resume? (1 Viewer)

vogelap

Portal Member
August 14, 2006
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I've been looking for a full-featured frontend for my HTPC. I am currently using BeyondMedia, but am frustrated by its limitations. My searching has brought me here. I've got a couple questions about MediaPortal...

My first question... Does MediaPortal support resuming playback of DVDs, both ripped and disc-based? IE: Can I watch a bit of a DVD movie, stop watching, and when I return to watch that DVD, does MediaPortal prompt me if I'd like to continue playback from where I left off? This is very important to me.

Secondly, I've got lots of DVD movies on my NASbox (using www.serverelements.com product called NASlite) which I access via Samba. Can MediaPortal access directories located on the NAS and playback the ripped DVDs from there? I can use either mapped drive letters or UNC to access the NAS...

onkl

Portal Pro
February 18, 2005
Wageningen
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
-Using Samba shares: no problem, though you'll have to mount them.
-Playback of ripped DVD's:
If ripped to Divx, AVI, MPEG etc. files: it's built in (the my movies section.)
If ripped as .iso: you can use deamon tools. MP can mount iso files trough deamon tools and play them.
I'm sure that movie files (aforementioned avi, mpeg etc.) support resume "out of the box" and am pretty certain it's the same for DVD's too (both for mounted iso's and DVD's as in the shiny physical discs)

For deamon setup an earlier post of mine:
onkl said:
There is no DVD change facility available "under" the mydvd button.
However, you can integrate the program Deamon Tools with MP.
That way, you can search trough your DVD's (or, more precise your iso files) in the My Video's section and let Deamon tools mount these files (assign a drive letter).

A manual is available here:
http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/MediaPortalSetup_General
(scroll until you see the deamon tools section). The "tell Mediaportal about..." refers to a set of sections in the "general" part of the setup.

After this, add .iso to the my movies extension list (somewhere in Setup-My movies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom