Mediaslayer feature request (2 Viewers)

MrCrabs

Portal Pro
January 21, 2010
Braunschweig
Home Country
Germany Germany
Hello there,

I was just wondering about what are future goals for Mediaslayer developement, well this is more a question to manfred.

But I thought, that some poeple might have ideas what would be nice to have.

Me for example: I would love it if MS could give me an MKV-file as output. That way it could just encode the movie to mpeg4 using mencoder and put all audio tracks and subtitles in all given languages and the chapter information into that file.
That would be great.
Is it possible, manfred?

mlburgoon

Portal Pro
November 16, 2006
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I would like the plugin to be able to automatically handle multi-disc sets better (ie. lord of the rings). For example. I put in Disc 1 and rip it. Then I put in Disc 2 and start to rip it. It recognizes the disk as LOTR, checks that folder and sees a disc 1 already there. It asks if I want to OVERWRITE disc 1. I say no, so it checks for disc 2. If disc 2 exists, it asks if I want to OVERWRITE disk2. I say no, it continues on... Basically, this could handle ANY multi disc set.

I would love to see more options for naming things. Currently, I use the Microsoft lookup to fin the movie. this is good. Work well. But after that when it pops up the list of movies it finds from IMDB, I would love to be able to use that information as the folder\movie name. for the folder name, I would like to see \%movie name% (%year%)\. that would REALLY help out with moving pictures being able to pick the movie up automatically. the year of the movie really helps that. For movie naming, just the title of the movie with the disc number would be great. Like "The Fog D1".

Naming examples below:
c:\data\movies\The Fog (1981)\The Fog D1.iso
c:\data\movies\Charlottes Web (1974)\Charlottes Web D1.iso

Something like that.... with all the re-makes lately, it is getting harder for moving pictures to pull by just a movie name. Adding the Year to the folder name REALLY helps.

Just some thoughts.....

mlburgoon

Portal Pro
November 16, 2006
Home Country
Another Feature request.

For music CD's, it would be nice to be able to select the album art to use for the cd and song titles before it starts ripping the cd. this way all songs get tagged with the album art I select. Currently after its starts ripping a cd and I go change the album art, that change is not getting propogated to any of the songs and album cover. Also, include an option in that list for a blank album art cover. that way if MS does not pull a correct album art cover, the cd gets taged with NO cover art instead of incorrect album art.

Basically, after I select rip disc (and it is a cd), it looks up the disc info and album art, and displays a list of the album artwork for me to pick from (including a no art option). After I make my selection, then it starts to rip the disc storing the info with the artwork I selected.

On my movie naming post above, I had the thought of maybe offering the option of naming the movie like you can in the CD section. so it could be like "%TITLE% (%YEAR%)\%TITLE% %DISCNUM%"

This would give lots of flexibility and people could store the disc how they wanted to store it. It would free you up from trying to make everyone happy with a single hard coded solution as well.

Options could be:
%TITLE% = title of the movie
%YEAR% = year of the movie
%DISCNUM% = the disc number for multi-disc sets (number would still be included on a single disc as well, though)
%GENRE% = genre of the movie like HORROR, COMEDY, DRAMA, ACTION, etc...

I think that type of flexibility would be AWESOME for allowing people to store movies the way they want\need to.

Thanks for Listening!!!

mlburgoon

Portal Pro
November 16, 2006
Home Country
Another feature request...

would be nice to be able to specify more that one drive\directory to store movies and music to. maybe use the logic of which ever drive has the highest percentage of free space available gets used to store the movie\music.

Just a thought I had. I know moving pictures can be set up to look at multiple locations, thought it may be nice to have media slayer store to multiple locations.

thanks for looking.

-Manfred-

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 15, 2007
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    Some thoughts for your requests.

- MKV support is not a simple task and have no interest to start this. However there is interface to extend rippers quite easily and after source is released someone can take this task.
    - all there naming changes needs a rewrite and is that really so big problem after all?
    - skin change should be easy but needs then all skins to be updated
    - selecting a folder where to store your media is already there when enhanced GUI is enabled. Media Slayer is able to use all the folders defined at MP configuration.

mlburgoon

Portal Pro
    November 16, 2006
    Home Country
    I think the naming changes is really important. It gives people flixibility to do what they want to do. It also lends itself to using other plugins for displaying and playing movies, not just My Videos and Moving Pictures, but anything else that may come up in the future. It also "future proofs" anything that is hard coded, or may be hard coded.

Also, since the ability to manually approve movies in Moving Pictures is not available and won't be for some time, this would help provide a solution to that issue by allowing it to more accurately pull the information correctly based on the naming convention used. For those of us that do not have keyboards and mice hooked up to the PC, this would be a HUGE help.

thanks for listening and for all the hard work on this. I know I can be a pain!!! LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom