[TV] Merge Recordings (1 Viewer)

ndeans

Portal Member
July 5, 2006
Firstly, brilliant stuff folks, love the prog and am slowly using more and more of its features.

One thing i regularly find myself wishing for with my use is i am regularly recording one program and want to record the next proceeding program on the same channel (often the same program as 2 consecutive episodes). Currently, with setting pre- and post- record times means that while the first program is recording on tuner 1 the second program starts recording on tuner 2 creating two seperate files and tying up many more resources. I would love to be presented with an option when scheduling this type of recording to merge both scheduled records into 1 single record hence creating a single recorded file. I think this would place far less strain on my poor aging processor, not to mention freeing up one of the tuners and the video editor plugin is more than sufficient for splitting the file at a later time when i'm cutting out ads etc.

Once again thanks for all the great work and i hope this suggestion is something worth your while.

Cheers
Nath

chemelli

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 28, 2006
    Milano, Italy
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    Now that we handle EpisodeName and EpisodePart data from EPG, if we go for it we should make it optional.

What would be really usefull is to get rid of post rec time for first episode and pre rec time for the second :p

Simone

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    What would be really usefull is to get rid of post rec time for first episode and pre rec time for the second :p

The main problem is that when you only have one (analog) TV-Card, and you record 2 shows back-2-back, then the creation of 2 separate files always means that you have one file which contains an entire show + a part of the other, and a 2nd file which only contains a part of the other show.
    As a result of that, you will even use several seconds of one show, because tv-server stops/starts the recording process.

If TV-Server would simply record both shows into one file, then you would bot have an incomplete recordings.
    If the user intends to keep both or one of the shows, he can split it with the video editor. :)

I ave been thinking about such an option:
    "record back-to-back schedules into one file -> on/off"

wonkyd

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 29, 2007
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Channels in this country often decide to stick the news in the middle of a film. The EPG lists as

Movie - (Part1)
    News
    Movie - (Part 2)

You end up with two seperate files for the same movie. Our set top boxes over here know from the guide this is one film so stitch the recording together. Would be handy in MP.:D

Maybe if the titles matched and the recording was on the same channel on the same day it could ask you if you wished to "Merge Recordings? Yes/No"?

misterd

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 4, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    The main problem is that when you only have one (analog) TV-Card, and you record 2 shows back-2-back, then the creation of 2 separate files always means that you have one file which contains an entire show + a part of the other, and a 2nd file which only contains a part of the other show.
    AFAIK you should have in the first file the first show and a part of the other. In the second file you have the complete second show and a part of the first one. The reason is that for each recording a "subchannel" should be created, which is even possible for analog cards.

MisterD

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    AFAIK you should have in the first file the first show and a part of the other. In the second file you have the complete second show and a part of the first one. The reason is that for each recording a "subchannel" should be created, which is even possible for analog cards.
    Oh, i did not know that "multituning" is working with analogcards as well.
    Thats quite cool and indeed fixes the described problem. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom