Benoire

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 17, 2012
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    G'day fella's,

Here in NZ our free to air provider runs MHEG5 as the distribution platform. A new sports channel is about to launch that will have multiple sports via the one known channel. I recall there being talk of potentially being able to get MHEG5 support in to MP2; is this still likely? I would love to be able to record / watch different programs rather than the base stream and as MHEG5 is here to stay and I'm not particularly interested in moving to the really bad stbs that we have here.

Chris

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Heya Chris

According to wikipedia there are very few countries that have implemented MHEG 5. Not that that is an excuse for not supporting it - rather, it is just a little unclear how support might best be integrated because MHEG 5 itself is so generic. Technically it is an application platform so implementing full support would require implementing something like a mini virtual machine environment - quite challenging in technical terms. AIUI the most common use-case so far seems to be for consistent EPG data display/layout. MP has its own EPG screens with full integration... so playing the devil's advocate, there doesn't seem to be a substantial benefit from integrating full generic MHEG 5 support yet. In other words supporting the EPG data grabbing as the EPG Collector does might be minimally sufficient for now. Having said that, I'm not at all familiar with MHEG 5 outside NZ...

Have you got a reference/link describing what Sommet are actually going to use MHEG 5 for? I've been keeping my ear to the ground for this info but hadn't seen anything other than rumours about advertising and denials from Sommet representatives. Since the Kordia multiplex is full I doubt they can implement anything in the way of alternate camera angles etc. They may use it to provide meta-data - scores, stats... things of that nature... or advertising as mentioned previously.

mm

Benoire

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 17, 2012
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Indeed, the main ones being the UK and here. UK has a very large amount of 'applications' via the red button both on the BBC channels and others... I've read that Sommet where likely to offer this, but again its all hearsay until the product is launched. I'll have to drag through my history to find where I read this as that was kinda what prompted me to post, rather than needing the EPG; although I am sure that would be very well received :)

I'll say again, I am might impressed with you guys. You've created a series of awesome products that are easy to use, can run on a wide range of machines and being open sourced can be modified by anyone! Serious Kudos!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom