Migrating from WMC to Media Portal - need help with format and file naming (1 Viewer)

MrVirtual

Portal Member
May 13, 2009
Home Country
Australia Australia
Hi TMP folks,

SOrry if this is posted elsewhere I just cannot locate the info anywhere.
I currently run and have been running for many years a WMC WIn7 dedicated box, using Media Browser (now EMby) plugin to browse my movie and TV collection. This is great for the kids and wife accecptance factor is of course very high.

with the demise of WMC I am once agin looking back at Media Portal, I did run Media Portal 1 before the WIn7 WMC was released.

I have installed Media Portal 2 on to a pc for testing and comparing it's functionality to EMBY and XBMC MP wins hands down, however I cannot seem to get the Cover Art flows and and the like in the folders etc. I am thus far unable to locate any detail in the wiki on how best to title movies and tv shows and box sets, does Media Portal do this? with Emby I was able to have a number of folders for Kids movies and Kids TV shows etc.

I also have a lot of .M4V files and MP2 will not play these, I can find loads of references to MP1 adding the file to the supported file list but I cannot locate this feature in MP2, please can you point me to a how to on how I add this functionality?

I went with Media Portal 2 being that it's the latest version and the web site says that it supports series and fan art out of the box.

Many thanks.
N

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi TMP folks,
    I went with Media Portal 2 being that it's the latest version and the web site says that it supports series and fan art out of the box.
    The version that you installed is actually quite old and outdated. The next official version is going to be published shortly (around the end of the month), however, you have the possibility to install a development snapshot from here if you don't want to wait:

https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/mediaportal-2-weekly-snapshot-2016-01-16.133413/

MrVirtual

Portal Member
    May 13, 2009
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hi, I didn't think the September 15 update was that old :)

I'll give the snapshot a go as it's only in "test", would not risk that with my production HTPC though. The family let me know when stuff is not working! :p
    Thanks for help.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    m4v is in the list of supported video file extensions. So it should work ootb. You can check the settings file manually, if you like. It can be found in the hidden folder "c:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MP2-Server\Config\" and is named "MediaPortal.Extensions.MetadataExtractors.VideoMetadataExtractor.Settings.VideoMetadataExtractorSettings.xml". At least my file contains m4v also I never have used a m4v myself. Normally all my videos are mkv as mp4 is way too limited, but if i get mp4 files they all have the extension .mp4

MrVirtual

Portal Member
    May 13, 2009
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    HI Lehmden,
    I understand that the mp4 is limited and am using .mkv now in preference but I still have this huge number of .m4v files.
    I can confirm that the .mv4 is present in the xml file, so you gane me the idea why not just rename it to .mp4, and it plays! yay!
    SO I can rename my files, i'll script that one up.
    This must be a bug? I'll look at rasing it, many thanks for you help.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    If you prefer MKV then you may probably have a look at my tool MKV-Buddy (link in my signature). It prepares all video files to fit perfectly to MP2. Means it remux or transcode (depends on file size and user setting) a whole bunch of videos (movies, series episodes, other videos) to mkv and add metatags (MP2 is supporting MKV metatags) together with .nfo files and fanart with one mouse click. Those proper prepared mkv will be imported with 100% match into the MP2 media library without any further user action...

This must be a bug?
    Don't know. maybe a sample video may help to sort this out...

MrVirtual

Portal Member
    May 13, 2009
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Did you get that sample video?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom