[Postponed] Mini-Display Plugin (1 Viewer)

sonnybonds

Portal Pro
December 3, 2008
Home Country
Germany Germany
Hello,

any chance that the Minidisplay-Plugin or something similar will get portet to MP2?

Since I have an "Origen S16V"-case and really like the informations shown on the display because it allows me to browse through my music albums and hear my music without turning on my tv this would be an important feature to me.

sonnybonds

Portal Pro
December 3, 2008
Home Country
Germany Germany
Seems I am the only one who still wants to use his case-display after switching from MP1 to MP2?
Or do I miss something?
Ist that feature already planned or discussed somewhere else, then please show me the link?!
Or is the system requirement for using MP2 without turning on TV a smartphone or something else o_O ?

I can´t understand that after twelve days of this feature request there has not been a reaction from the devs about this "basic" feature. Sorry I don´t want to nerve but something like: "we discuss this" or "not clear yet" would show me, that this request has at least been read...

chefkoch

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 5, 2004
    Dresden / Munich / Maastricht
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    No, a MiniDisplay plugin is not planned by the current MP2 team (for the next months).
    The feature itself is of course necessary for a HTPC application, but has a very low priority as MP2 is missing a lot of more important functional features.

However that does not mean it won't happen. So if there is any developer, who is interested in working on this topic, we won't stop him and depending on the plugin quality / stability, it might also be integrated in MP2 officially.

Last edited:

sonnybonds

Portal Pro
    December 3, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    @chefkoch: Thank you for this statement (and reaction)!
    I understand that there are many "basic" features we all know from MP1 which will not be available in MP2 from the start. I hope many devs of MP1-Team and Plugin devs will soon swith to MP2. The Alpha 2 really looks promising...as far as i have tested yet. I´m really looking forward for a final realease of MP2.
    Thank you for the great work so far!

MJGraf

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 13, 2006
    Hi sonnybonds,
    Sorry, I completely missed this thread...
    I am not aware of any plans for a minidisplay plugin for MP2, sorry. However, I also have two OrigenAE cases, one of which being a S16V, so I'm also interested in such a plugin. The main disadvantage of the OrigenAE cases is IMHO that they use iMon hardware - at least for the display, but in my S16V also for the ir receiver (my S21T luckily has a MCE receiver).
    So what is needed to fully support those cases are two plugins: an iMon IR receiver plugin (similar to the MCE receiver plugin lately ported from MP1 to MP2 by chefkoch) and an iMon display plugin.
    Both plugins could use the API, which in the meantime was developed by iMon. However, using this API requires iMonManager running, which I personally don't like because this program just steals resources and I just don't need this program running. This is why for MP1 I'm using IRSS with its native support for the iMon receiver and the MiniDisplay Plugin for the native iMon display support (although there is iirc also a display plugin for MP1 using the iMon API). However, the native support of iMon devices is really horrible, because you have to take care of hundreds of different iMon hardware revisions, which you can avoid by using the iMon API (calls to the API are always the same and the API and/or the iMon manager take care of the specific hardware in use).
    Technically, iMon display support could be implemented by using MP2 messaging. I.e., the plugin would listen to MP2 messages and when a message which is relevant for display, the plugin would just take the content of the message and send it to the display.
    To cut a long story short: although it should not be too difficult to implement such a plugin, MP2 is still lacking skilled developers and the developers currently working on MP2 do their best to get the basic functionality working when using MP2 with a TV. The manpower we have for MP2 is currently just not enough to port all then functionality to MP2, which is contained in MP1. I, personally, am convinced that there will be such a plugin in the future (already thought about starting one myself but don't have enough free time ATM, although the receiver plugin would probably be first on my list). However, I cannot tell you when...
    So please bear with us and be patient, we all try to make MP2 the best media enter out there. It may just take a while ;)
    Michael

Gregor07

Portal Pro
    January 31, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi azzuro,

thank you for your reply. I know there is a MP1 plugin. I am using it :) I had iMon installed just to use this plugin.
    Do you mean that this has been ported to MP2? How can I deploy it on MP2? I would be glad to test it.

azzuro

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • May 10, 2007
    France - IDF
    Home Country
    France France
    Do you mean that this has been ported to MP2? How can I deploy it on MP2? I would be glad to test it.
    Not, i say, for now : the minidisplay is out of MP1 process plugin in our next release. the goal is to port it easily to MP2.

So, the mp2 plugin is not available yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom