Ongoing Mini-ITX HTPC - D945GCLF2 (2 Viewers)

LittleKahuna

Portal Member
January 6, 2009
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I've been thinking of putting something together for a home HTPC for some time. I thought about MythTV, but finally came across the MediaPortal software...and it's given me the motivation to start the build.

In all my research on the Mini-ITX class of board there isn't too much about what the low-end boards can actually handle in terms of HTPC requirements so I thought I'd post this for others to use as a benchmark.....assuming a) it actually works, and b) my goldfish attention span actually lasts long enough to complete it.

Anyway I've always been set on the Mini-ITX due to size and cost, and after much debating I flipped a coin and opted for the following parts;

Motherboard: Intel D945GCLF2 Atom 1.6GHz dual-core
RAM: 2GB DDR 667
Optical drive: Generic slim-line slot-load CD/DVD
HDD: 320GB SATA 2.5"
Case: Noah 3988 Mini-ITX case
TV Card: Nova-T-500 (pci)

A lot of the parts were chosen around the Noah case (limited space and PSU) as it was about the only one I liked the look of without spending loads of cash. I chose the Intel board as it is cheap (won't be too gutted if I kill it...), has the Atom 330 and supports 2GB RAM.

These specs aren't going to set the world alight, but I'm looking for a box capable of recording terrestrial Freeview and playing a few DivX's along with my music collection. I am not looking for any HD content.

Everything has been ordered and is expected tomorrow. I let you guys know how things go... ...if things go really bad I'll let you know how much the new Topfield 5810 set me back!

LK

LittleKahuna

Portal Member
January 6, 2009
Home Country
Right, everything but the TV card has turned up so far, and first impressions....the case is small and loud.

The motherboard wasn't too much of a problem to fit, but once all the cables started adding up space quickly disappeared, and this is without a PCI card fitted yet.

I had a little difficulty with the power lines. The case doesn't come with any paperwork, just an A4 sketch of the box. So it took me a while to figure out how to power the Slimline optical drive to IDE converter board along with the SATA HDD.

In terms of the board, things are cramped around the IDE and SATA connections. If you're using both like I am hook up the IDE first. But apart from that everything fired up first time.

XP loaded first time and everything that should be there was found without an issue. I haven't had time to add all the updates and M/Board drivers, but I've already noticed the suspend function isn't available....hopefully this will be sorted with the updates/drivers.

So far I haven't tried it with the case closed, but I'm already concerned with the noise levels. I know the intel board has a noise issue with the northbridge fan, but the level so far is almost as bad as my asthmatic Shuttle. But once I confirm the whole rig is capable for the job I'll start worrying about the noise - firstly disconnecting the M/Board fan to see if it's the case fan or northbridge causing the racket. Worst case I strip out both fans for a Scythe Mini-Kaze...
The stock Panasonic CDRW/DVD is awful so far, sounds like an angle grinder instead of a optical drive....it will not stay long in the case at this rate.

I'm already beginning to think I should have gone for a slightly larger Silverstone case. Maybe something with a standard drive bay!

Next step is some major cable management (zip-tie's at the ready). Hopefully with a bit of organization, and removal of the un-used case cables, I can fit the PCI card without losing my temper.

LK

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    I like 'em to (never owned one). I actually found what looks like a great solution - see my post here.

The stock Panasonic CDRW/DVD is awful so far, sounds like an angle grinder instead of a optical drive....it will not stay long in the case at this rate
    Nero drivespeed (free)?

LittleKahuna

Portal Member
    January 6, 2009
    Home Country
    Spragleknas thanks for your comments. I've actually a brother in Norway so he can do a bit of translating for me, and if the Noah case doesn't work he can always bring me one if the iWill cases.... I do like the Cylon style centre LED light, would be great if I could get that to scroll across the front panel!

And I'll certainly try out the Nero Drivespeed.

Project Update.

I've received the TV card, and after some cable management there is more than enough room for the PCI card - although the power cables did need manipulating out of the way as the card reaches the length of the m/board and overhangs the psu board, connecting the PCI card to the riser card is also a pain but possible.
    I did end up removing some of the front panel cables (Firewire and Audio In/Out), and I had to use a longer IDE cable to reach around the PCI card and up to the drive trays. But after everything was fitted there still seems reasonable room around the components for airflow.

At the moment everything is closed up and the m/board drivers are loading. The sound level is noticeably lower with the case fitted, but it certainly won't be living in the bedroom without some modifications yet.

Once the m/board drivers are loaded it's onto the windows updates, then hopefully taking the Hauppauge card for a spin. Then finally I can get MediaPortal up and running and see how the system copes...

I've taken a few pictures of everything crammed into the case, so hopefully I'll post a few for those who are considering the Noah case.

LK

LittleKahuna

Portal Member
    January 6, 2009
    Home Country
    Hey alexeix, I haven't gone any further with the project this last week, but I'm back now and hopefully I'll have something finished in the next week.

I'll let you know how it goes.

LK

hbryce

Portal Member
    January 31, 2009
    Gloucester
    Home Country
    I'm really interested in your project as I want to do something similar - be able to record DVB-T; play (and possibly upscale) DVDs; receive streaming IPTV, e.g. BBC iPlayer and view digital photos. I am considering a Shuttle X27D as a mini HTPC connected to my Sony 32"TV. The Shuttle has the Atom 330 CPU and a DVI output; but sadly no PCI expansion; so a USB DVB-T stick seems the way to go.
    I have built a "proof-of concept" Media Portal system based upon an old Dell GX280 P4 desktop which works well enough but is too big to go under my TV and too noisy.
    Thus I am really interested in how successful your system turns out to be. Keep up the good work!

surfermc

Portal Pro
    May 7, 2006
    Dorset
    Home Country
    England England
    I am really interested in seeing how you manage with the Noah case. I am thinking of using this as a base for a client machine for the front room. SWMBO say the existing Silvestone LC17 is too big. This will be relegated to the office to act as a media server.

LittleKahuna

Portal Member
    January 6, 2009
    Home Country
    Ok people, just to let you know how things are going. I've had some problems setting up MediaPortal which has slowed me down.

ffdshow wouldn't install first time round, but I found the drivers with the TV card and MediaPortal (+ DivX 7) seemed to cope with everything except recording TV. My mistake was to install VLC, which then lost me everything including live TV. After some back-tracking and switching TV recording to 'TS' files in place of Mpeg things seem to be holding together...so far.

At the moment I'm loading all my media onto the system, once this is done I'll then be able to start some testing to see what sort of CPU usage I'm getting (hopefully that will help hbryce with his system) - I never checked if the mobo has temp. sensors but I'll check and see if I can report any temps for those interested.

surfermc / alexeix I'll open up the case next time I move it and disable the case fan. This should indicate if the northbridge or case fan is causing the noise. I'll admit I'm a bit biased about the noise because it's sitting right next to me while I configure everything. Maybe when it's moved into the corner under the TV things will be different.

Surfemc, if you're using the case in your front room be aware the blue power LED is 'very' bright. Just something to note if you're after a dark room for viewing - I'll be pulling it out if it stays in the bedroom.

Right, while everything is loading I'm off to figure out how to power down windows with the Hauppauge remote (which works a treat in MP by the way) - answers on a postcard please.

If anyone wants me to check anything else just let me know.

LK

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom