Minor inconvenience: number of downloads in Plugin repository (1 Viewer)

pbb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 30, 2006
    Trondheim
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    I know this is a really minor thing to complain about, but here goes:

The plugin repository lists the number of downloads the plugin has had. This would be an interesting number to show the relative popularity of the plugin, but of course a plugin that has been listed longer will build up a larger number of downloads even if it is not very popular.

We could have related the number of downloads to the "Submitted on" date, and calculate a number of downloads per day stat to show the relative popularity. However, it seems that the submission date is from the last update, while the number of downloads counts from the first publication!

Check for example the Shortcuter input plugin; submitted on 29 feb '08 (2 days ago) and 682 downloads (340 dl/day). This would make it even more popular than the TVSeries plugin which was last updated 21 okt '07 and has 35.407 downloads (266 dl/day).

Would it be possible to either:
    • also show the original publication date,
    • reset the number of downloads to zero with every modification,
    • or show a downloads/day statistic (either total, since last modification, in last month, etc)?

high

Administrator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 31, 2004
    Isselburg/NRW
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    thx pbb for the suggestion,

reset the number of downloads to zero with every modification,

holy cow, I know some uploaders that will kill me for that....gell Harley? ;)

or show a downloads/day statistic (either total, since last modification, in last month, etc)?

Ive added a list of the last 7 days next to the new files list in repo. Last month for example would be possible too but the original script is pretty unefficient when it comes to generate logs for a page with our amounts of downloads (4.734.238 since started). Lets keep it to 7 days max.

pbb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 30, 2006
    Trondheim
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Thanks! That is already a lot more helpful for newcomers, quickly seeing which ones are "must-haves". And actually the last 7 days is maybe the best, since some plugins may have been very popular in the past, but not interesting anymore nowadays. (Like TVE 0.2 dependent plugins.)

However (here I go again...) just a top 10 over all downloads is a bit little, since most (70%) of these are skins. Would it be possible to have a top 10 per category, or display the number of downloads/week with the properties of each download?

I'm just nagging here... Nothing vital :D

high

Administrator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 31, 2004
    Isselburg/NRW
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I can put it on the todo list for the next release but atm its not worth the extra work. Someone started to code a new repo with more features so 'if' that one will be ever finished the actual repository will be exchanged. Even if not, our move to Joomla 1.5 is in sight and that mean a recode of the existing script too. Feel free to post more suggestions but deeper code-changes will have to wait for that 1.5-version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom