Mirroring a FLAC library (1 Viewer)

nikolajb

Portal Member
October 8, 2006
Home Country
Denmark Denmark
Hey

This week-end I pulled myself together and went through with a project I've been thinking about for some time: Ripping every music CD in the house to FLAC (about 350) and putting the files on the HTPC in the living room. Awesome to have access to all those files on MP :)

I'd love to have a mirror of the music in a more portable format, but I'm wondering what would be the best way to do that. Does anyone out there have some experience with that? To me, the best way would be some sort of automation that converts every file I put in my music-folder to the MP3-folder. Is there an MP-feature or plugin out there that could help me with that?

Alternatively, I suppose it would be fairly straight-forward to make a bat-script that converts *.flac to *.mp3 and the copies the jpg's to the same folders?

Neptuni

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 17, 2007
    Linkoping
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Hi,

I'm in the same situation (400 cd's in flac) and I would like them in MP3 in some magic way (for the Ipod).
    Can you give me a hint also?

/Mikael

hwahrmann

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 15, 2004
    Vienna, Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    i'll be away for a week now and will publish something by mid Feb. Please be patient until then.
    it wouldn't help you since i can't give you support while away.

hashian

February 5, 2009
    It's not an MP-based solution, but I use Winamp Pro ($19.95) to rip to FLAC and then convert to something else with just a right-click.

Jordan

February 7, 2009
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Look into MediaMonkey. First, it's easy to recode your FLACs. Personally, I have my 300+/- CDs ripped as FLAC, and a mix of APE and MP3 files from - well, let's call them "other sources" - and MM is great for organization and tagging. It is also fabulous at syncing to multiple portables (I have an old ipod I use in the car, a creative MuVo, and a SwimP3). With the gold version - yes, it's not free - you can convert your main library on the fly to a portable using a separate rule set for each portable.

As for your conundrum, it is possible to map a directory (i.e. /compressed music/) to a drive letter and then set that up in media monkey as a portable device. Then, when selected to do so in MM, that folder will be synchronized with your main library using the rules you've set up*. It's not really a core function of MM, but it works. You should be able to then make any updates or changes to your main library (fixing tags, adding playlists, rating tracks) and have that information passed into the secondary library. NOTE: I haven't personally verified this, as I tend to get about 3 hours a quarter to play with it, and just haven't really tested out all the features. I do know that the MP4 encoder tends to fail from time to time in MM, but the MP3 encoder (LAME, iirc) is flawless.

*I don't know if the synchronization is two-way, which would back-sync changes (last-played, track ratings, tag changes) to your main library. That has both promise and pitfalls. Again, I don't know if the back-sync is performed, but I'm sure somebody over at the MM forums can answer it.

PS - if you just need a static sync, use Foobar2000. In its base configuration it is frill-free, but it gets the job done. I've used it for this before, and it worked admirably.

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I am currently going through my older CDs and re-ripping them to FLAC. This means that half my collection is in both FLAC and MP3 and the other half only in MP3. It would be really nice if MP had a priority setting whereby I could import both collections but it would only use FLAC if available rather than show both.

This I guess is a step too far though :(

heintje

Portal Pro
    November 6, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hello!

Can someone please give me a hint to convert my FLAC music library automaticaly to mp3?

Thanks in advance
    Heintje

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom