Modified XBOX DVD remote support. (1 Viewer)

B

BEan

I have had Media portal for some time now, and its amazing. I also have a modified xbox dvd remote reciever installed and mounted on my sytem. This is a great remote and reciever, and it even works from accross the room and the remote pointing away.
900504b.jpg

The only problem is that the remote isn't fully compatable with Media portal. I got the driver and original program from here: http://www.redcl0ud.com/xbcd_rc.html
http://www.redcl0ud.com/ir_wiring.html

Good news is that the source code for the driver (windows 2k&xp) and the software. I am hoping that someone could write a plugin or something for this to work. I feel that if you support it, more people will get the remote and it will attract more attention to media portal ( I will tell my friends and half a dozen message boards). Pm me if you are going to take on this challenge and I volenteer to be beta tester.

EDIT: I think I put this in the wrong section. I wasn't sure where to put it.

SiLenTYL

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 23, 2004
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Moved to Feature Requests...

this is a great idea...however i guess we would need an Xbox-USB to PC-USB adaptor?? must we make them ourselves? or buy them from somewhere?

B

BEan

I just cracked open the case and soldered the usb cable to the circuit board with this diagram. I wouldn't sugest this method unless your are completely comfortable with a soldering iron.
    ir_wiring.jpg

Unfortantly the IR reciever doesn't use the dongle, wich means any premade cord wouldn't work. They are ment to hook up a controller to the pc.
    Cables_015.jpg

Also you can make this adapter using this guide.
    http://www.llamma.com/xbox/Mods/xbox_controller_to_pc_usb.htm
    This method would still allow you to plug the reciever back into an xbox.

A used dvd remote and reciver usually cost around $20 US at ebgames. For the usb cable I just butchered an extra I had lying around. You will have to bust out the tools and get busy.

B

BEan

This is a bit of an update:

I kinda got it to work a bit. The program that come with the driver can be set up so that the buttons can work like hitting a key on the keyboard. In essence MP is thinking that I am using the keyboard. This whole thing is not perfect and I have no idea what I should do with the "title" button on the remote.

Here is how the setup looks on the XBCDR program:
    Button : Function
    Display : VK_X
    Play: VK_space
    Pause: VK_space
    Stop: VK_ B
    Reverse: VK_F5
    Foward: VK_F6
    Skip- : VK_F7
    Skip+ : VK_F8
    Select : VK_Return
    UP : VK_UP
    down : VK_down
    Left : VK_left
    Right : Vk_right
    Title : none
    Info: VK_F3
    Menu: VK_F9
    Back: VK_ESCAPE
    # : VK_#

Note: VK means virtual Keyboard

This whole setup is still a work in progress. I haven't tryied this setup to play DVD's or TV. I still don't know what to do with the Title key. WhenI play a video and accidently hit the up and down buttons they jump to a different time in the movie. I also can't control the volume with this setup.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Also Is anyone working on a plugin or anything?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom