motherboard ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe - max. Harddisksize? (1 Viewer)

Der_Bub

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 17, 2008
    Cologne
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hello,

I use a ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe motherboard and tried to install an new Harddisk: Western-Digital 1TB (WD10EACS).

With the onboard SATA Controller it failed, with a SATA PCI-Card (that I already had to buy, because the blueray player wasn't als not reconized) it works, but I wasn't possible to use it as OS Drive / write the image of the OS to it with Nero Backup.

It seems that I have keep the small drive for OS. :oops:

Or has anybody an idea how to get the new harddisk work as boot device?
    Or cann anybody tell me what's the max Size the motherboard (onboard SATA controller) supports?

Greetings

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

Have you checked your BIOS version? The A7N8X-E has a 48bit LBA and should therefore have no issue to address a 1 TB. Try to change the HDD bios options from Auto to User Type and set the Translation Method to "LBA".

Regards,
    HTPC_Sourcer

Der_Bub

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 17, 2008
    Cologne
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Have you checked your BIOS version? The A7N8X-E has a 48bit LBA and should therefore have no issue to address a 1 TB. Try to change the HDD bios options from Auto to User Type and set the Translation Method to "LBA".

well, I tried out this and it still identifies the hard disk, but is not able to get it's size. (here's a very similar picture) It freezes / stays at this point.

If I conect it to PCI-SATA it shows the size of the disk, but it's also not possible to boot (some message like "insert boot disk"). The same if I connect the new one to PCI-Sata and the old drive to onboard-Sata.

:(

---------
    update:

It seems to be a Problem of the BIOS of the RAIS controler Silicon Image für Sil3112 BIOS 4.27.48

Hope I get the moded BIOS...

Willith

Portal Member
    July 3, 2007
    Are you sure that your boot disk is loading the PCI SATA drivers?

For instance with windows XP you have to hit F6 after inserting the disk or using something like nlite to integrate the drivers.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Are you sure that your boot disk is loading the PCI SATA drivers?

For instance with windows XP you have to hit F6 after inserting the disk or using something like nlite to integrate the drivers.
    Willith, the issue occurs during startup, still at the BIOS level while no drivers are required yet.
    And from what I see it seems to be a common phenomenon with this mainboard. However, there are not too many 1 TB drives out there yet. We may hear more often about such problems in the future...

Regards, HTPC_Sourcer

Kingfisher

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 16, 2008
    Bedfordshire
    Home Country
    England England
    The problem and solution are very simple, I have come across this many times with older machines.

The A7N8X only supports SATA150 (aka SATA 1, or first generation SATA). Most SATA150 controllers will not recognise a SATA300 (SATA II) drive, which your 1TB drive will be.

What you will find is, on the 1TB drive is a jumper setting which limits it to SATA150 (ie 150mbps speed). This will then allow it to work with the SATA150 controller on the motherboard.

Jumper locations can be found here. (OPT1 setting)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom