Motherboard Recommendations for Intel Core 2 Duo E7300? (1 Viewer)

chrisworkman

Portal Pro
February 9, 2009
Ohio
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I've got an extra 2.66G Core 2 Duo E7300 and am considering upgrading my MediaPortal box. What would be a decent motherboard that's compatible with this CPU for a dedicated HTPC?

So far I'm aiming for 4-8GB's of RAM (or more :D ), and a nicer Nvidia graphics card. I'd prefer a MB that has a digital audio output.

A quick Google search revealed the MSI P6NG motherboard, but I'd personally consider that a lower end MB. Not that that's a bad thing, I just would like to get something with a bit of bite to it.

MB Budget: $100-$200 (though I'd like to hover in the $100-$150 range if possible)

Thanks in advance!!:D

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom

chrisworkman

Portal Pro
    February 9, 2009
    Ohio
    Home Country

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    Good write ups from actual users in link, cannot see any reason not to buy it, optical spdif as well, so sound sorted just as you wished.

Take it you are now going for separate graphics card ;)

chrisworkman

Portal Pro
    February 9, 2009
    Ohio
    Home Country
    Oh yeah. I can't remember if m existing Geforce 7300 is a PCIe or what, but I'm probably going to be looking for a card that can handle anything. Any suggestions on that while we're at it?

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    Nvidia gt220\gt430 or ATI 54xx\65xx, either will do HD using Hardware acceleration.

Get the best one for the price you can, the second card named do have extra video processing abilities, these recommendations are for MP and video playback only, gaming you need to go up to next models.

chrisworkman

Portal Pro
    February 9, 2009
    Ohio
    Home Country
    No need for a gaming card as this will be a dedicated HTPC.

Also, years back when I built my current HTPC I had an issue with the few ATI cards I tried where once the display went to sleep the card wouldn't "wake" the display when you moved the mouse or accessed the remote. So everytime the display went to sleep I had to restart the machine. There were a few workarounds that I found, but the whole thing seemed to be tedious. Is this still an issue with ATI cards? At the time I was under the impression this quirk was exclusive to ATI cards and not Nvidia.

Thanks for the input!

EDIT: A quick search revealed this card on sale:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814187121

I only mention it because it's on sale and has a lifetime warranty. However, I am unfamiliar with Sparkle. I just feel like $39.99 after rebate is to good to be true ;)

EDIT 2:

This one seems to be quite nice. I've owned several Gigabyte products and have never had any problems.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125346

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom