Motorola NYXboard Hybrid Remote + USB-CEC (1 Viewer)

K405

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 24, 2007
    Zoetermeer
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Hi All,

In my quest for the ultimate remote control setup for my beloved MP HTPC I took the plunge and bought a Motorola NYXboard Hybrid Remote and a USB-CEC adapter from PulseEight.

I know they are XBMC biased but still took the chance. I did find a google code page for MP though: http://code.google.com/p/cecremote/

Anyway received it Saturday. Played a bit. And I must say that I really like the remote :) even though it looks fugly.
    Response is flawless and it's nice and snappy. Feels good in your hand too. Still need to bind the missing keys in MP config. Binding the <backspace> to the Previous Menu action gets you already going a long way. XBMC uses the <esc> key to go back.

I'm less enthousiastic about the USB-CEC adapter but that's because of my setup. My TV isn't regocnized but that's because of HDMI cable, I think. Cause if I hook it up directly (bypassing my Onkyo AVR) with a short HDMI cable into a Laptop my TV is regocnized.

Still this has the potential to become the ultimate controller solution.. (power on/off, only one remote on your coffee table) Or need I say MY ultimate solution cause the remote apps for smartphones/tables are awesome as well of course!

K405

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 24, 2007
    Zoetermeer
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Well time has passed and I am not as enthusiastic about the USB-CEC or the Motorola NYXboard Hybrid Remote as I was before.
    I will be returning to my old Logitech Harmony and eHome IR receiver setup again.

As with all things to good to be true. :(

The party stopper for me is this issue:
    USB RF Receiver Intermittent Shutoff in Windows

There's a thread about this issue in their support forum it seems it's not only related to Windows, there's also an OpenElec user with similar issues.

Ah well, some day..

K405

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 24, 2007
    Zoetermeer
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Over at the official Motorola NYXboard Hybrid Remote support forum they have asked a couple of customers to send back their RF USB dongles for testing. As only a few users have the USB RF Receiver Intermittent Shutoff problem. They suspect a hardware problem and they have opened a ticket with Motorola. Hopefully it's a one off.

Here's an interesting program regarding USB-CEC with which you can control your favorite mediaplayer using your TV (HDMI - CEC) remote.

http://sites.google.com/site/chir21/home/CEC-Tray

Still need to give it a go but looks good :)

bibo456

Portal Pro
    July 22, 2008
    Home Country
    France France
    Hello K405,

I have bought the nyxboard remote. It looks nice, but do not manage to use it with mediaportal.
    Could you tell me how you did ?

Currently, I have an ATI X10 remote and use it with eventghost. Unfortunately the remote is not recognised by eventghost.

Thank you for your help.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom