Move from WMC - Recorded TV (1 Viewer)

ChubbyArse

Portal Member
December 28, 2011
Hi all, I'm considering moving from WMC and had a few questions:
  • What file type is used for recorded TV? How easily would it be transcoded into a universal format that can be handled by most smart tvs / media servers? (I'm thinking mpg).
  • Is there a feature to allow you to browse only the movies on the TV schedule - much like WMC's movie guide.
Thanks all.

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi all, I'm considering moving from WMC and had a few questions:
    • What file type is used for recorded TV? How easily would it be transcoded into a universal format that can be handled by most smart tvs / media servers? (I'm thinking mpg).
    • Is there a feature to allow you to browse only the movies on the TV schedule - much like WMC's movie guide.
    Thanks all.

We use .ts (transport stream) for TV recordings. It is basically the same format as transmitted for digital transmission (usually MPEG2 for SD and h264 for HD). It is easy to transcode (VideoReDo/Handbrake).

You can search the TV guide by genre, including movies, or you can colour the EPG by genre so that movies show up in a different colour. Of course this only works if your provider delivers the correct information.

ChubbyArse

Portal Member
    December 28, 2011
    Thanks ElliotMC, I'm going to get it installed on a VM hopefully and give it a whirl.

I'm completely dumb when it comes to video files and how they are stored encoded / decoded / remuxed and would appreciate some insight, but I'll raise it seperately and update with a link from this thread.

Link To Thread

Last edited:

ChubbyArse

Portal Member
    December 28, 2011
    Just a bit of feedback. I recorded both SD and HD content from UK Freeview, and uploaded to my NAS's media server without remuxing. I was able to stream down to the LG TV for both formats - (MPEG 2 for SD) and (AVC MPEG 4 for HD) without issue. SKipping around the timeline was supported and the HD picture was excellent.

Thanks for the replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom