Movie database creation (1 Viewer)

kricker

Portal Member
April 22, 2004
I am just getting back to MP from a loooonng absence. I haven't had a chance to play with it since the very first betas long ago. I have been looking around the forums the FAQ and tips, but I still can't seem to figure out a simple thing as importing my movies properly. I am trying to get the coverart or posters for my movies to be their icons or thumbnails whatever you want to call them. My folder sturcture is as follows:

movie=E:\Movies\Movie Title\Movie title.avi
poster=E:\Movies\Movie Title\Movie title.jpg

I also have multiple covers or poster for some movies which are:
E:\Movies\Movie Title\Movie title xx.avi

So can MP import my movie and use the poster in the folder that is named the same as the movie?

mdingemanse

Portal Member
October 19, 2006
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
When MP locates a movie in your movie directory and search for it on IMDB it puts a downloaded thumbnail of that movie in c:\program files\team mediaportal\mediaportal\thumbs\movies.
The thumbnails have the same name as the movie but with and L in the name:

For instance: AVP: alien versus predator.avi wil generate a thumbnail: AVP: alien versus predatorL.jpg.
What you can do is put all your .jpg of your movies in the movie-thumbs folder and rename them.

Ok its still manual.
The automatic movie scan in MP does a lot of work but still generates wrong movie names or thumbnails. You will have to correct that manually.
I cant think of another way.

By the way you can make a backup (copy) of your database and thumbs folder in the mediaportal directory and when you put those folders back you dont have to start all over again when you reinstall MP or your windows crashes.

kricker

Portal Member
April 22, 2004
Thanks for the info. I was aware of that foler but it seemed to have to copies of each of the covers IMDB found. Now I know which is which.

WOW. I am surprised it is a bit of a hassle. I could have sworn that way back MP did what I was wanting. I guess there was a change along the way somewhere on how the coders wanted to do things. So now I need duplicate covers stored for all my movies 'cause I am not moving the covers out of their folders, I like to keep related items packaged together, just makes more sense to me. If I changed the extensions to .tbn, will MP pick those up on its scan?

I've got a lot of learning to do with this latest release, I got bigger problems than movie thumbnails.

mdingemanse

Portal Member
October 19, 2006
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
I dont know it the change in filename extension works. Havent tried that one.
Its alot of work to get things done like you want to in MP. Files have to be organized well before putting them into MP.
I can tell you that MP is better then Win MCE 2005, especially coverart.
MCE couldnt even play all my xvid-avi movies. Shame. So i will stick to MP!

mdingemanse

Portal Member
October 19, 2006
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Lets hope that in future versions the movie and music database can search for local albumart. That would be great!

As for music: MP can search for embedded albumart so i tried MP3tag to embed al my music albums with the coverart i downloaded from internet. Works good, but had to check some 160 albums..."

For coverart i search in google pictures: xxxxxxxx cd filtype:jpg or xxxxxx dvd filetype:jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom