Movie Database workflow - suggestions for improval. (1 Viewer)

Lyxalig

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 30, 2005
    Norway
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    The Current workflow when scanning folders to create a moviedatabase is quite time consuming for first-time setup.

The lookup currently scans the directories finding, in my scenario, 305 movies.
    It looks like the workflow is;
    Searching IMDB -> (user input) choose movie -> Downloading info/images of the chosen movie -> Downloading actor info/images (timeconsuming) ->|| continue the loop.

Each movie-lookup takes aprox. 1.30 minutes. That creates a total of 7.5hours babysitting the lookup with the current workflow.

My suggestion for improved workflow;
    Searching IMDB -> (user input) choose movie -|| (continue loop until finished)
    ||-> Downloading info/images of all movies -> Downloading actor info/images for all Movies->||

Just my 2øre ;)

hakuna

Portal Pro
    October 15, 2004
    Gothenburg
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    *applause* One more with the brain still activated. Good one!

/Niclas - vacation times, brains off to prevent over heating.

Cojo

Portal Member
    September 1, 2004
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Is this ever going to hapend?

I would love to use the movies database but as it is now that will never hapend.
    Scaning my movies takes for ever.
    Babysitting 450 movies is nothing that i want to do.

So please do something about it.

And one more thing. Why does mp setup add my cd and dvd automaticly as shares in my moves, music and pictures averytime i run it? It's rather irritating to have to remove them everytime i want to change anything in the setup.

mzemina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Since you have 450 movies. How did you keep track of them before? Did you use some sort of catalog application or use a spreadsheet or database program or did you just manually write them down on index cards - or typed into a book?

Please note that I am not trying to be stupid or funny or mean, I just want to know how you have tracked them in the past?

Cinetix

Portal Member
    May 8, 2006
    Actors?

I think it should be optional to download information about the actors.
    Information about which actors star in the movie would be satisfying to me.

Hawkeye

Portal Pro
    January 29, 2005
    Halle (Saale)
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Re: Actors?

Cinetix said:
    I think it should be optional to download information about the actors.
    Information about which actors star in the movie would be satisfying to me.

Especially it shouldn't download info about one actor appearing in more than one movie or already beeing in db.

And what also annoys me is the fact that it scans movies already in the db or is there a way to add only one movie???

Cinetix

Portal Member
    May 8, 2006
    Re: Actors?

Hawkeye said:
    And what also annoys me is the fact that it scans movies already in the db or is there a way to add only one movie???

You can add a single movie by selecting "New..." at the bottom of your movie list.

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Just another suggestion, based on my own set-up, which is probably not unique.

I have three MediaPortal PCs on my home network, with all the music and video stored on a central server (which also happens to be one of the MediaPortal systems).

It really is a pain to have to rebuild the database on all three machines periodically. Is it possible to have the databases stored in a file/folder where the shares are stored, so that they are automatically loaded.

So, say I have to re-install my living room PC. I add the shared video folder to the movies list, and all the information from the movie database is used from the share itself rather than having to recreate it manually.

This is just a request, not a moan. MP is superb, and getting better all the time.

Mark

mzemina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    This is not a plug for any plugin over another. No pun intended either.

But I know if you use InterVideo DVDProfiler to catalog your DVDs (it is free even though you need to register it) and then export a XML catalog (.xml file) the plugin that dukus created will import those DVDs and it will create a db for the actors/artists for each movie (you can set the limit as to how many artists to bring into the db. Then you can view the actors. I have used this on my DVD collection which only numbers 268 but it should work for collections around a thousand or so.

You can find it in the download section: https://www.team-mediaportal.com/files/Download/Plugins/Others/My_DVDs/

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom