Moving Pictures won't play mkv files (1 Viewer)

Birtylad

Portal Member
May 3, 2012
Home Country
Great Britain (UK) Great Britain (UK)
After a recent issue with my HTPC I had to swap out motherboard and CPU. both were replaced like for like and the PC works fine. However I use moving Pictures to view my films and it wouldn't play mkv files (it just starts briefly and then stops without playing). Upgraded to 1.29 but still no joy. It will play other formats including iso etc but not the mkv files.

It used to work fine .....

Any ideas as to why.

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    MKV file playback is working fine for me , MP 1.29 and Win 10 and now Win 11. I do use Madvr as the video renderer but even if you don't there should not be an issue mkv files are included as default in the video config. It may be worth checking to see if LAV is selected for all video codecs on MP1Config. I would also be good if you can check if the files play OK with a different player MPC-BE for example.
    UPDATE:-
    Just re-read the OP and my response and wanted to confirm I was referring to mkv playback from Moving Pictures. Further question to you, do the mkvs play from Videos if mapped there or is it just Moving Pictures?

Last edited:

Birtylad

Portal Member
    May 3, 2012
    Home Country
    Great Britain (UK) Great Britain (UK)
    No they don't work in Videos either ... however some mkv files encoded more recently do work ... bizarre and annoying. On the off chance I have just re-encoded one of the older films and low and behold it works ... I can only assume the rest have somehow been corrupted.

emphatic

Design Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 25, 2006
    Alingsås
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Sounds like a codec issue to me. What happens if you try to open these files in Windows? Using Media Player Classic for example? Also, your hardware acceleration settings might be off with the change of hardware?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom