MP 1.1.0.0 RC2 freaks when no audio device (1 Viewer)

Andrew H

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 8, 2007
    Alabama
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Thought I'd share an experience - I was installing a new AVerMedia 188C card this morning and all went well. I was able to tune channels in Manual Control just fine. When I went into TV Channels/Preview I got no video. Thinking this was odd I opened the main MP app and tried to tune a station, again, no picture and now MP was not able to change the screen (although the headers did change when I hit <Esc>). Had to hit the X to close MP. Again I tried playing a RecordedTV and the same thing, no video. Finally I played a .iso movie and (although the log had a similar error) it played the video and maintained control of the MP application. I mention no video as I was using my secondary (VGA) monitor for testing my installation - not the HDMI output (with audio) I use on my PJ.

As it turns out I was getting an issue with the graph and its not being able to install an audio codec/renderer that was hanging the graph and subsequently the TS Reader & display. I say this as I had (a couple days ago) disabled both my Analog Audio and the Digital Audio in an attempt to isolate my HDMI Digital Audio as the sole audio device as a troubleshooting step to see if my HD4200 would behave better if it only saw a single audio device. Previously, it would popup something about my "HDMI-to-DVI connection would not provide audio" yet I am using HDMI-to-HDMI from my HTPC to my Onkyo A/V to my Sony PJ, all are HDMI and HDCP.

Powering up my Onkyo and Sony restored an audio device to my HTPC and the graphs would again build. This seems odd that the graph wouldn't build... why not simply have a null audio device and build the graph whether or not you can actually hear anything? I may reconfigure my connections to include an optical SPDIF as the Digital Output (I'm only using AC3 and DTS) and sidestep all this hocus-pocus with HDMI audio and EDID handshaking... it just surprised me that having the HDMI off would "hang" MediaPortal. Oh, and I clicked on the LiveTV stream while this was happening and WMP opened and played the .ts but MPC-HC baulked at it saying there was no audio and played the video alone. So maybe it's the graph, or maybe it's the player!

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Pretty sure there being no audio device active, will also throw a exception with the likes of WMP as well as MP

Really do not think there is any way around not having access to a active directsound device in windows at all, just no ouptut to render too, so graph fails.

Andrew H

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 8, 2007
    Alabama
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Thanks for the reply and the insight! Since I don't have any speakers connected in my 'equipment' room I've never been bothered by viewing a video w/o sound. It's a convenient means to test tuners, modify a TV schedule, or see if something recorded. I was more concerned that MP would stop responding in this case because I don't expect any audio... Last night I rebooted, ENABLED audio in BIOS and reestablished the digital audio out and MP is happy again... or shall I say the graph is happy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom