MP 1.2.1 does not recognize software encoders (1 Viewer)

charlyG

October 30, 2011
Home Country
Germany Germany
Hello,
thanks for reading this.

I know, this toppic might be boring for most of your, but it is a hazzle.

I did several attempts to get a software encoder included in MP 1.2.1 running Win 7/64.
None of the hints in wiki (Software Encoding Card Setup - MediaPortal Wiki) succeeded.

The most promisingly reference to ATI AVIVO also figured out to have no ENcoder included in the installation (media-)package. Some elder AVIVO istallation (wbocx.ocx) made the ATI Encoder visible in the General -> Software Encoder Tab. Channel scan did not work:
2011-12-17 17:06:45.514590 [(19)]: analog: AddVideoCompressor

2011-12-17 17:06:45.543591 [(19)]: analog: AddVideoCompressor found:12 compressor

2011-12-17 17:06:45.546591 [(19)]: analog: compressor ATI MPEG Video Encoder is usable

2011-12-17 17:06:45.547592 [(19)]: analog: try compressor:ATI MPEG Video Encoder

2011-12-17 17:06:45.549592 [(19)]: analog: connect video pin->video compressor

2011-12-17 17:06:45.563592 [(19)]: analog: failed to connect video pin->video compressor

2011-12-17 17:06:45.567593 [(19)]: analog: removing instance of compressor ATI MPEG Video Encoder from use

2011-12-17 17:06:45.568593 [(19)]: analog: compressor is no longer in use

2011-12-17 17:06:45.569593 [(19)]: analog: failed to add video compressor. You must install a supported video encoder!

2011-12-17 17:06:45.571593 [(19)]: analog:Dispose()​

MainConcept's DemoMCE or H264 Package did not shine up in the listing. Sucessfull register those ax-files with Windows (regsvr32) changed nothing.

.. I'm running out of Ideas to bring the analog TVchannels to MP. Just to make you know the KDG (KabelDeutschland) will not discontinue analog TV in the near future.
Watching analog and recording in MPeg/H264 with the "Standalone"-Tools by Mainconcept, Terratiec and Cyberlink works fine (and is adjustable to quality)

Any help and ideas are welcome.
:D in advance
charly
:rolleyes:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi and welcome charly :)

Software encoders really are a pain. They are tricky to install and usually prove to be unreliable. I *really* don't recommend them (note: they are not officially supported) but if you insist I can try to help you get them working.

Hmmm, I guess Cyberlink and Mainconcept may have changed their encoder filter names again. :(

The most promisingly reference to ATI AVIVO also figured out to have no ENcoder included in the installation (media-)package.
    I think you must have missed what you needed as I can 100% guarantee that they are included - I use them myself when I need software encoders. I don't have an ATI video card in my current PC so what I do is I run the installer which extracts all the sub-package installers, then I cancel the main installation and install the required AVIVO packages individually.

Some elder AVIVO istallation (wbocx.ocx) made the ATI Encoder visible in the General -> Software Encoder Tab. Channel scan did not work...
    From your logs I can see you're using a Cinergy HTC Stick that is not set up correctly. Hybrid tuners like yours must be configured so that TV Server does not attempt to use the digital side of the tuner at the same time as the analog side. Please follow the instructions in our wiki -->here<-- to configure your tuner correctly. If you still have problems after that then please provide new logs and we'll take it from there...

mm

charlyG

October 30, 2011
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi mm,
    above all thank you for the quick response.

What happened in the meantime:
    - I reworked the Hybrid Card settings; created a digital and analogue group
    - I walked throu the registry attempting to capture the ATI "Friendly names" for Encoders - nothing new.
    - Added the Microsoft MPEG-Encoder to the DB-Table

The MSFT Encoder had been recognised as "Installed".

Still no success in scanning analogue channels.
    Please, see log file.

More ideas - they are welcome.
    Thanx,
    Charly.

:D

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi again

From the logs it seems like your tuner doesn't want to co-operate with the ATI video encoder. To confirm: you've made sure that the tuner is not being used by the Terratec software when you're testing it with MP haven't you?

- I reworked the Hybrid Card settings; created a digital and analogue group
    Excellent. :)

- I walked throu the registry attempting to capture the ATI "Friendly names" for Encoders - nothing new.
    The easiest way to do this is probably to use GraphStudio. Run it (no install required). Click "graph" -> "insert filter...". Check the DirectShow filters and video and audio encoder categories (the left field at the top of the popup window) for filters named like "*** encoder".

- Added the Microsoft MPEG-Encoder to the DB-Table
    Well done for figuring out how to add encoders to the database! :)
    Unfortunately the Microsoft ones won't work for you. People have already tested them and confirmed that they don't work which is why they're not in the DB already.

If the ATI encoders aren't going to work then you can try to add the Cyberlink/TerraTec ones. If you've installed THC then they should be installed - I think you'll find that they're called "CyberLink Audio Encoder(TerraTec)" and "CyberLink MPEG Video Encoder(TerraTec)".

If that doesn't work you can try the encoders from WinDVR 3. Intervideo was bought out by Corel and Corel no longer sells the product so you can't purchase the software, but you can at least try and see if the encoders will work. Maybe you can find a way to get the software registered (;)) so the encoders don't stop working (my experience has been that they stop working after 15 or 30 days if you don't register the software).

mm

charlyG

October 30, 2011
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hello again,

thank you for the hint and providing the names to be referred to.

After import to DB and TVservice-Restart, those Drivers (Terratec) had been listed underneath general -> Software Encoder.
    Basically the behaviour did not change. Analogue tuner does still not operate in scan mode.

What me makes concerned, is the fact not to can change from NTSC to any PAL mode. I'm not sure what the consequences of this 'behaviour' is.

Please find attached tv.log (containing several services restarts) and error.log.

GRAPHstudio did permit me to locate the ATI, Microsoft and MainConcept Encoders, but none of cyberlink/Terratec. All those listed under "Directshow Driver ...".

Let me know, how to proceed. Maybe a look at the installation will help.

thanx again, in advance.
    c.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi again

I have to say that it is not looking promising. Just to confirm:
    1. You have one hybrid card group containing all three Cinergy HTC tuners. The Cinergy is not a dual tuner so you need only *one* hybrid group.
    2. You are not using the tuner in other software at the same time as you're testing in MP.

If that is the case then things start to get complicated. You would need to try to manually build a graph in GraphStudio. It would look something like the attached image except that you need to connect encoders instead of renderers to the capture filter. You need to find a video encoder that can connect to the video output pin. If that all sounds very complicated thats because it is a little complicated. This is exactly why we don't provide official support for software encoders...

mm

Attachments

• Graph.jpg
      Graph.jpg
      31.5 KB

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom