MP 1 Freezes With Live TV (1 Viewer)

denfenn

August 25, 2015
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Live TV freezes each time I've used MP, usually after about 5-30 minutes. TV video and audio both freeze and then Windows crashes and restarts. I recently upgraded from Windows 7 to Win 10. The problem happens in both Win 7 and 10.
Your help is greatly appreciated.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello and welcome :)

TV video and audio both freeze and then Windows crashes and restarts.
    That doesn't sound good!

According to the log files Windows encounters a serious error ("blue screen", also known as "blue screen of death" or BSOD) and must restart. Such errors are an indication of hardware or driver problems.

This is not something which is specifically related to MediaPortal. The fact that the problem occurs when using MediaPortal may be an indication that the underlying cause is related to your TV tuner or GPU ("video card"). I'd expect the same problem to occur with any other TV viewing software.

I don't think there's much more I can say except that I suggest you contact Microsoft and/or the retailer who you purchased the computer from and ask for support.

Hope that helps!
    mm

denfenn

August 25, 2015
    Home Country
    Thank you for your reply. I don't think this is a hardware problem since I don't have issue with my video card with any other program and I had no issues with Windows Media Center live TV and my current tuner card. Is it possible that there is a compatibility issue specific to MP and my TV tuner card?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I don't think this is a hardware problem since I don't have issue with my video card with any other program and I had no issues with Windows Media Center live TV and my current tuner card.
    I guess it's your choice as to whether you believe me or not.
    In relation to the BSOD, the Windows logs do show:
    "12/1/2015 2:33:20 PM";"Windows Error Reporting";"(0)";"Information";"Fault bucket 0x133_DPC_atinavrr!Unknown_Function...

To me that looks like a reference to something ATI-related. The only things I can see in your system and configuration which are "ATI something" are your tuner and the video codec you're using ("ATI MPEG Multiplexer"). If you're convinced that your tuner doesn't have a problem, try to use a different video codec. I'm talking about the settings shown -->here<--. You shouldn't be using the ATI MPEG Multiplexer anyway - it isn't a valid video codec. Try LAV video.

Is it possible that there is a compatibility issue specific to MP and my TV tuner card?
    Very unlikely. If there were a compatibility issue I would expect MP to completely fail to use your tuner. Further, over the years I've known other people to use the same tuner you have and not have any problems using it in MediaPortal.

denfenn

August 25, 2015
    Home Country
    Thanks for your reply. Ill try different codecs and see if that solves the problem.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    @Vasilich
    The problem could be the GPU too because it's an AMD one (and some of the driver components are named "ati...dll"). However, as you can read, denfenn is not convinced due to the tuner apparently working fine with other software.

About the tuner driver: it's unlikely there will be a new one. The ATI tuners are now very old. From what I can see, the latest compatible driver might be this one for W7:
    http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/tv-tuner?product=5-&os=Windows 7 - 64&rev=10.4

denfenn

August 25, 2015
    Home Country
    That's the newest driver I could find. This is an old product, so it's probably time for me to stop being a cheapskate and update my tuner HW.

Thanks everyone for your support.

Vasilich

Portal Pro
    August 30, 2009
    Germany, Mayence
    Home Country
    Russian Federation Russian Federation
    The problem could be the GPU too because it's an AMD one (and some of the driver components are named "ati...dll").
    i just went from a suggestion that this link http://www.sysnative.com/drivers/driver.php?id=atinavrr.sys told me.

The link you gave points to the driver with newer date , though it can also be a release date for the package, having inside old drivers for TV tuners...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom