MP fails to hibernate (1 Viewer)

robbo100

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 5, 2009
    UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Well, I have spend a couple of hours now configuring 4TR, which on the face of things seems OK.

The hibernation and wake-up for TV programmes works a treat, however the system responsiveness is so much slower than the normal TV server interface with MP client. It takes about 5 times as long to start viewing TV and I keep getting an error telling me "Error starting TV not supported on your recorded/tuner(s)" which doesn't seem to link up with any particular event. Sometimes it can record 2 channels from both tuner cards at the same time (4 total programmes) and other times it comes out of hibernation and won't record anything.

Coupled with this, the recording of HD channels is very poor and jerky (even when only recording 1 channel). I also much prefer the native MP My TV system (the red, and green ticks in the now and next are really really useful for example!).

I am really gutted to be honest. MP is a cracking bit of software from a UI perspective, and the only thing that wouldn't work for me is getting it to sleep and wake-up for recordings. I presume that to go back to MP without 4TR I have to re-install it (disabling the plugins doesn't work as I have had to overwrite some of the binary files to get it to work).

I think I am going to have to revert to using DVB Viewer (as much as I hate to do so)! Unless anyone else has anything I can try.

Are there future updates planned in the short term for MP and will they include changes to the way the PC hibernation and wake for recordings is managed?

Thanks for all your help.

Robbo100

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    Have you enabled reinitiliase tuners in the MMC settings, that may be the cause of failures\slowdown.

The problems we see with power are down to the way the card manufacturers have set this up in the BIOS, so double check everything is set as it should be.

Besides a complete reinstall of the OS without using any extra's to try and get powerscheduler working correctly, cannot think of anything else.

robbo100

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 5, 2009
    UK
    Home Country
    I thought that might be the case.

I will check that setting and keep plugging away at it and see if I can improve things.

Thanks

Robbo100

robbo100

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 5, 2009
    UK
    Home Country
    Well, I decided to try for the re-install of XP and ...... IT WORKED.

I have managed to get it to hibernate correctly!

I am just finishing up the configuration, so hopefully it will all work correctly now.

Thank for the advice along the way!

:D

:D

ced007

Portal Pro
    July 7, 2008
    Haute-Savoie
    Home Country
    France France
    Hello,
    I use the basic plugin "PowerScheduler" for the client and the server, both set-up correctly.
    Everything worked fine until yesterday when I had suddenly the same problem than you robbo100, same error message when trying to put MP in sleep mode.
    (on my side I'm on Vista SP2 and MP 1.0.2).
    I found in the tv.log that it tried to do something with xmlTV before the error message. I checked the xmlTV plugin and found that the set-up time to run it was the current time, which was not ok because I defined it to be run at 20h00 every day. In the past I have remarked that this time is sometime automatically changed for an unknown reason. I put it back to my original setting and then, everything went back.... automatic sleep mode is back...
    So I suspect that MP tried to run xmlTV when doing a sleep or hibernate and that makes the process crash.
    I have scheduled a recording for tomorrow morning so I will see if auto wake up is back too.
    I'll let you know.
    Bye

ced007

Portal Pro
    July 7, 2008
    Haute-Savoie
    Home Country
    France France
    Yes everything is ok and back to normal. MP is correctly going to sleep mode and wakes up correctly. Recordings are going well.
    So everytime I open and edit the server configuration I need to double check the value of the xmlTV plugin timing.

robbo100

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 5, 2009
    UK
    Home Country
    Just to close this thread down from my perspective and to let everyone know how I fixed my specific problem, essentially I did a complete re-install of XP SP3 on my PC and got all the updates loaded, then installed MP again (using the exact same procedure as when I did it the first time).

The result from all of this was that hibernation worked first time with no problems at all with exactly the same setting as I had before (as far as I can tell).

Therefore, I suspect there was something wrong with my original XP installation that was stopping it from hibernating.

Clearly a massive effort to get XP re-installed, but well worth it to get MP working.

Thanks for the support from the other posters and good luck to others if they are having trouble. It is worth the effort!

Robbo100

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom