MP Newbie with a couple of questions (1 Viewer)

Jacko

Portal Member
January 20, 2008
Manchester
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hello everyone

Just a quick thank you to everyone whos built MP, i've been looking around for a decent media player for ages and had played around with lots of different players but could never find one that suited my needs...but now i have, i can't thank you enough!

I have a problems and the fist being the ability of adding another 'my video' folder that can be accessed from the main menu. The thing is i've got a hd thats full of films, i've then got two other hd's with recorded TV mostly in AVIs. Is there any way of adding another main menu folder one called my film and the other called my tv? This would be handy for keeping the two categorised and also keeping the searching time down as i must have over 300 folders, also it will make the whole action of navigating a lot more visually appealing and easier for every user.

I've bought a Hauppauge Nova HD S2 card, i managed to set this up to the Astra satellite using my Sky dish and quad LNB and found loads of channels, it worked, i could watch some of the channels and i understand that i can't watch the scrabbled ones until i get a CI, CAM and card and intend to you get these and use my sky card but i have a problem...for some reason i now get an error when trying to tune into a channel, the error reads 'Failed to start TV Unable to connect audio pin' or 'Failed to start TV Unable to connect MPG2 pin' I am assuming this is to do with the codec its trying to use but have tried changing this and it still comes up with the same errors. How can i fix this? Am i supposed to use the Astra Sat or to another, im a newbie to all of this so sorry for the questions.

Another problem i have is with my dual 22" monitor setup i can't fullscreen on the second monitor, how is this possible?

Hope you can help guys as i'm really impressed with the setup of MP and love the configuration and plugins available.

Regards from Andy in Manchester, UK

Edit: I forgot another thing. I've been spending alot of time sorting out the IMDB for each film (over 200 and slow internet connection have taken some time! lol) what i want to do is use the MP on another system in the living room; can i just copy the files from the MP folder in program files folder to the second system to give me all my settings and IMDB info as this would save a hell of a lot of time. If this isn't the best route...what is?

And also (really sorry about this!!) i've got a low low spec system in another room that i would also like to use MP on, how can i stream in the film, tv and music onto this system to take the strain off the low spec computer?

Darre

Portal Pro
April 21, 2007
Home Country
Norway Norway
I have a problems and the fist being the ability of adding another 'my video' folder that can be accessed from the main menu. The thing is i've got a hd thats full of films, i've then got two other hd's with recorded TV mostly in AVIs. Is there any way of adding another main menu folder one called my film and the other called my tv? This would be handy for keeping the two categorised and also keeping the searching time down as i must have over 300 folders, also it will make the whole action of navigating a lot more visually appealing and easier for every user.

I've wanted something like this my self and haven't found a solution. My reasons are different, but the request is the same.

Edit: I forgot another thing. I've been spending alot of time sorting out the IMDB for each film (over 200 and slow internet connection have taken some time! lol) what i want to do is use the MP on another system in the living room; can i just copy the files from the MP folder in program files folder to the second system to give me all my settings and IMDB info as this would save a hell of a lot of time. If this isn't the best route...what is?

You can copy the databases from:
- XP - c:\program files\team mediaportal\mediaportal\database
- Vista - :\programdata\team mediaportal\mediaportal\database

They are called 'pluginname'.db3

What you have to do is copy the thumbs folder, and the in mediaportal config you have to edit the path to the movie files for each movie. Unless both computers get the movie from the same source(ie: \\mediaserver\movies).

You can copy the thumbs from:
- XP - c:\program files\team mediaportal\mediaportal\thumbs
- Vista - :\programdata\team mediaportal\mediaportal\thumbs

And also (really sorry about this!!) I've got a low low spec system in another room that i would also like to use MP on, how can i stream in the film, tv and music onto this system to take the strain off the low spec computer?

I don't fully understand what you are asking here.. You want the fast computer to do all the work?

For the rest of your problems; I don't know.. I haven't used the tv part of MP.

Good luck!

Jacko

Portal Member
January 20, 2008
Manchester
Home Country
I've wanted something like this my self and haven't found a solution. My reasons are different, but the request is the same.

:( Gutted, i thought this would be the case, this is the only thing thats going to cause me a problem as without an extra main menu folder it will become to cluttered as i've got too many folders over 4 hd's and i can't find a way of keeping everything neat and tidy. Im sure with it being open source it is would be possible to do if you have the skills, but unfortunately i don't! If someone has any ideas as to how i can do this i would be most grateful, as its a bit of a stumbling block really.

You can copy the databases from:
- XP - c:\program files\team mediaportal\mediaportal\database
- Vista - :\programdata\team mediaportal\mediaportal\database

They are called 'pluginname'.db3

What you have to do is copy the thumbs folder, and the in mediaportal config you have to edit the path to the movie files for each movie. Unless both computers get the movie from the same source(ie: \\mediaserver\movies).

You can copy the thumbs from:
- XP - c:\program files\team mediaportal\mediaportal\thumbs
- Vista - :\programdata\team mediaportal\mediaportal\thumbs

Ahh thank you, i did have a quick look through the folders the other day but didn't have time to really pin point what files are needed. This is good news as i can now config the other system a bit quicker. Also, is it possible to move the whole of the config over to another system, as the other system is pretty much the same and with the same MS remote and the same media on the same hdds so would save me time removing all the sounds the button setup and also save me alot of time setting up the same folder locations again.

I don't fully understand what you are asking here.. You want the fast computer to do all the work?

What i want to do is stream the media; be that tv, film, music and tv recordings to the low spec system from my high end system so as to take the strain of it somewhat...I think MP have a bit of server software available but im not sure how this will work with me running both the server and MP on the same system? Its all a bit new to me this...

Thanks for helping me with this, MP if far the most configurable bit of kit i've used to date....keep up the good work guys :)

Can anyone suggest a reason for why the tv function has stopped; as said i've changed the codecs and played around with that but still same errors come up. I shall try the latest k-lite codec pack to see if this sorts it out.

And what solution is there for adding another folder to the route of the MP with the same function as the 'my video' one, this is something i really really need! lol

:D

Regards
Andy

Darre

Portal Pro
April 21, 2007
Home Country
Norway Norway
The most tidy way of 'cloning' your mp install to the other PC would be to install MP on the other PC, then delete the folder and replace it with the one from the original PC. This way you would preserve the install so that both the files added and the ones removed, are/aren't there. By installing it properly first you get a tidy entry in the registry and all things needed by MP are sure to be installed.

I would like to clone my videos so I get one that I can customize for series/clips, one for movies(DB) and one for music videos. But as I said there is no sollution(yet) :(

AFAIK there is no way to stream media with MP. The decoding would anyways have to be done in the receiving end. Somebody else might be able to answer this tho =)

Jacko

Portal Member
January 20, 2008
Manchester
Home Country
The most tidy way of 'cloning' your mp install to the other PC would be to install MP on the other PC, then delete the folder and replace it with the one from the original PC. This way you would preserve the install so that both the files added and the ones removed, are/aren't there. By installing it properly first you get a tidy entry in the registry and all things needed by MP are sure to be installed.

I would like to clone my videos so I get one that I can customize for series/clips, one for movies(DB) and one for music videos. But as I said there is no solution(yet) :(

AFAIK there is no way to stream media with MP. The decoding would anyways have to be done in the receiving end. Somebody else might be able to answer this tho =)

Oh thanks a lot Darre for your quick replies, i shall give it ago later on when im home from work. I can't wait to try the xface skin out as well....it looks lovely! :)

Hi

Have a look at MediaServer, it a new plugin that i have not tried, but it may help you do what you want.

Recorded TV shows, sounds right up the TVSeries plugin street, found here

So this TVseries plugin (from the name alone) sounds very interesting, if its anything like this; Xface then i will have a smile from ear to ear! This along MP will kill the use of any other media player i've ever tried to use in the past. I am a convert thats for sure! lol

The mediaserver sounds like it could be the ticket, thanks for the link! :D One question tho....will it still work with streaming all my pre recorded media; i.e. Film and Tv stuff and can it run along side MP running on the same system?

Also Paranoid Delusion, another quickie im hoping you could help me with....im having issues with my newly installed DVB-S card. ITs the Hauupauge NOVA-HD-S2, have you ever used any of the sat receivers with MP? i got it working although only a very limited amount of channels worked due to encryption, no i know i'll need a CI and CAM to get this to work but is it best sticking with SKY? I've got a subscription with sky world inc sky+ downstairs in the living room and wanted to use this card/or get another (multi-room) One problem is that after a reboot i couldn't get any of the channels to work, keep getting two errors depending on what im trying to do; 'Failed to start TV Unable to connect audio pin' or 'Failed to start TV Unable to connect MPG2 pin' Is this a codec issue? I've tried other codecs but still get the same problem.:mad:

Another problem i have is using the MS visualizations, they don't seem to work either, can you add other visualizations from elsewhere? I have no idea how to do this but will have a play.

Sorry for all the questions guys but im really excited about finding such a good media player that not only covers all bases, but covers them well enough to use. :D

:D

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    The mediaserver sounds like it could be the ticket, thanks for the link! One question tho....will it still work with streaming all my pre recorded media; i.e. Film and Tv stuff and can it run along side MP running on the same system?

It's a MP plugin, so it had better work, as i said it's new, but it does sound good for allowing ALL your media to be streamed within MP (only TV previously).

For S2 to work, you need TVE3 installed.

Sattelite, i'm not your man at the moment, sky subscription on pc is a not very feasible option from everything i have read, most connect stb via analogue input and control with mce remote blaster.

If i just lost you, then you need to google a bit ;)

Hopefully some upcoming changes will make things a lot more stable regarding no audio\video errors for everyone.

Jacko

Portal Member
    January 20, 2008
    Manchester
    Home Country
    It's a MP plugin, so it had better work, as i said it's new, but it does sound good for allowing ALL your media to be streamed within MP (only TV previously).

Thats brilliant, i shall be installing this when i get home! :D

For S2 to work, you need TVE3 installed.

I can't find the link to download it....i think im going mad..you couldn't give me the numpty link could you? :oops:

Sattelite, i'm not your man at the moment, sky subscription on pc is a not very feasible option from everything i have read, most connect stb via analogue input and control with mce remote blaster.

I'm pretty sure i understand; using a coax cable link from the sky output to an analogue card and controlling the sky box using an ir link....this is do-able but i want to record the at the best quality as possible from HD channels...im not sure this is the best route.

Do you know why it could have stopped working all of a sudden? Its strange that it worked before but now doesn't.

What im really really interested in is the TVSeries plugin, this sounds amazing....i was just as amazed as i was when i found the IMDB feature. lol

I can't thank you enough for the help Ray (sorry if that isn't your name, just looked at your Sig) As soon as i can fine the 'thank you' button i shall sure hit it....i give you permission to drop hints on this ;)

Regards
    Andy

Darre

Portal Pro
    April 21, 2007
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    You will find it if you post one more time ;) Its right beside the 'quote' button when you reach 5 posts :)

Todays SVN of TVE3

Make sure to read all about how to use it before starting. Theres a few wiki links in the link I supplied. Also remember to have matching svn versions of MP and TVE3.

Jacko

Portal Member
    January 20, 2008
    Manchester
    Home Country
    haha, brilliant...You Darre shall have been thanked 18 times in 16 posts by the time you read this! lol ;)

Very odd, they must have upped the post count threshold as i can't see it...

EDIT: found it! ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom