vvulture

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 3, 2006
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hey guys...

Firstly, i would like to thank the team for their support during my adventure with MP. Your support has been great to say the least.
    WELL DONE !

After tinckering with MP for over a week now, i feel that i have come to the end of the road.
    I have been using my MP setup in the house for 2 days , and its giving me the poops. Random freezing, general sluggishness, channels take forever to change and more...

Anyway, i feel that MP has much more to offer than all other media centre packages out there, with the exception of reliable stability.
    Its a real shame actually, because i love the functions it has to offer. But at the end of the day, stability is far more important..... without stability, its pointless having a media centre in my opinion.

I am not writing this to start a war guys... If you have a stable MP system, thats great... I do not wish to spend anymore time and money in this project.

I am going back to MCE, which even though lacks many functions that MP has, it is far more stable for me.
    Maybe its the hardware i am using... who knows. But i feel that the hardware i am using is fine.

When v2.0 final release is out, i may look at it again...

good luck to you all.. you have been great. 8)

zion22

Portal Pro
    April 6, 2006
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Come back in a month or two, stability/performance is being improved all the time. It is after all a RC copy we are playing around with here. :)

I personally have no problems with my MP, can't even remember when it crashed the last time. ;)

johnbobjamesson

Portal Pro
    June 17, 2004
    Crailsheim
    Well, I guess if the devs would issue hardware suggestions like M$ does, you could have an absolutely stable system.

I don't care for one, since I like to install new svn's every 2nd day, but I understand the wish for it. You don't want to explain your family all the time why sth. isn't working (but worked on).

It's quite amazing though to see how much difference there is between users with the same version of MP on different hardware. The differences are between "very good, very stable" to "what the hell have you done? MP is crashing all the time".

I think most problems concerning MP stability really are due to hardware configs. That in mind, I'll stick with MP.

J

vvulture

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 3, 2006
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    zion22,
    I will defenitely keep on eye on MP for future releases. Its got tremendous potential...

johnbobjamesson, you hit the nail on the head. My wife keeps telling me that if she can't use it to record, why the hell have it at all. It was acutally because of her that i decided to go back to MCE. At least she can use it.

cheers.

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    johnbobjamesson said:
    I think most problems concerning MP stability really are due to hardware configs.
    and do not forget the drivers aspect.
    different hardware means differnet drivers. some companys offer very good drivers. some not.

and drivers always have to be up to date. thats not the case for 70% of ppl who are reporting issues.
    many times they buy a new piece of hardware and install the drivers that were bundled. and they think that they are using the latest drivers (a correct thought in my opinion). sadly thats not true.

i.e. the driver cd's that come with mainboards are nearly always more than 6 months old. (realtek i.e.)

vvulture

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 3, 2006
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    yeah , but remember that the latest driver or software is not always the best... not eveyone has the time to try a zillion drivers or pieces of software to find the right combination...

Don't get me wrong guys... i am all for MP, but at this stage, i just can't use it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom