MP on WHS2011 (w SiliconDust HomeRun tuner) (1 Viewer)

ckronengold

October 2, 2011
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I know this OS isn't officially supported, so I appreciate any help anyone is willing to provide.

I've got a Windows 7 network at home (was 2 desktops, 1 htpc, and 2 notebooks). I was going to take one of the desktops (my first HTPC test build) and turn it into a media server. Grabbed a copy of WHS 2011 OEM from Newegg.

I've got MP 1.2 installed, and my SiliconDust HomeRun tuner is working fine on all of my other machines. However, when I scan for channels in MP on the WHS machine, it doesn't find anything.

When I scan for channels in the TV server configuration, I generally come up with zilch. Changing the setting on the tuner to "Digital Cable" turned up a few channels when scanning for QAM standard. However, when I check the TV Channels tab, it shows that the channels it did find are ATSC, not QAM. I am also unable to preview any of the channels. I get a "preview failed" error. When I try to view them in MP, I get "unknowns error" occurred.

Has anyone tried to get MP running with a live TV signal on a WHS machine?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi again ckronengold

I didn't realise you actually had channels in TV Server - that is good progress. :)

Changing the setting on the tuner to "Digital Cable" turned up a few channels when scanning for QAM standard. However, when I check the TV Channels tab, it shows that the channels it did find are ATSC, not QAM.
    TV Server calls both ATSC and QAM channels "ATSC". Confusing I know! That is something I hope to rectify in a future version of MP. For the moment ignore the "ATSC" references.

I am also unable to preview any of the channels. I get a "preview failed" error. When I try to view them in MP, I get "unknowns error" occurred.
    The error that I see is this:

dvb: RunGraph returns: 0x8000FFFF

It seems to happen off and on and I can't explain why it is happening at present. You're not trying to use the HDHomeRun in other software at the same time are you? HDHomeRun setup and config should be closed while using the HDHomeRun in MP.

The other thing I notice is that you haven't set your codec preferences. You're going to need to do that before TV can work reliably in MP. I would recommend the Microsoft DTV-DVD video codec for MPEG 2 and h.264 video, and then install either AC3Filter or similar (FFDShow, LAV) for MPEG/AC3 audio. Monogram is fine for AAC.

mm

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom