MP randomly stops media playback as though file has ended (1 Viewer)

Matthew Houston

Portal Member
March 23, 2012
Home Country
Australia Australia
So I havent had much time over Xmas to look into it so last night we finally got home and the first movie I threw on was 'Let's be cops' at 17:27:40. You can see in the MP logs that playback literally only lasts for like a minute.

No errors reported that I can see!

So this is on a fresh install of 1.9.0 with no plugins at all installed. OS Is Windows 8.1 U1 with all current patches.

It's installed on an SSD with 8GB RAM accessing the network through a confirmed 1Gb connection.

I'm going to try and move some videos over to a different array and see if that affects it, and also try watching locally from the SSD, though it's such a random thing I would hesitate to call it confirmed if I don't see anything.

wouter1971

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 19, 2008
    Purmerend, Holland
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Hi Matthew, i see in the logs that you work with network shares (Y/X etc). Have you tried working with UNC network paths. So \\SERVERNAME\share ?
    I never have playback issues like yours and work with UNC paths and with QNAP NAS.

Matthew Houston

Portal Member
    March 23, 2012
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Sorry guys, took me a while to get back.

I didn't get a chance to try the direct UNC though I remember that is what I originally had it as. I would try it but in my testing I have completely removed my clients and reinstalled from scratch.

Instead of using MovingPictures and MyTV I've actually installed a MediaBrowser server and using the plugin for that. So far I havent had any drops or weird behaviour but it's only early days yet.

I've got a day off this week so I'll FINALLY have a chance to set up my final client, once that's up I'll be testing away!

I'm putting in another SAN in my network (another 9TB Woo hoo) which should allow me to separate the storage from my main workhorse server, that might make some difference. I'll post back the results anyway as I'm going, might help someone down the track!

I currently have a single server acting as a DC with multiple StorageSpaces arrays in it. Performance is good and all but at various points of the day other apps are running (backup, media updates, torrents etc). With the new SAN I can offload the media storage elsewhere and split the load across a couple of VM's. I discounted disk performance before but I can't really do much testing as it's all my production data!

JimCatMP

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 1, 2010
    Leeds
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I had same issues [Moving Picture & TVServies] when I moved NAS from local switch [100% stable] to PowerLine networ - simple dropping back too MP menu.

Assumption is, short network glitch is interpreted by Windows OR MP [not clear which - nothing in logs I could] see as End of File.

Moved NAS back to local switch, back to 100% stable.

Therefore the problem is in network element, not any specific plugin from my experience.

Cheers -JCMP

emphatic

Design Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 25, 2006
    Alingsås
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    But how to trouble-shoot? My NAS is connected to a Netgear router using a cable, so is my HTPC.

Emph

JimCatMP

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 1, 2010
    Leeds
    Home Country
    That's a question I have no answer for - all I can say is my set up is nothing more than a 3 port switch built into 200MBp TP-Link Powerline adaptor - but having the NAS [a basic Freecom dual drive unit] sat local to that switch, 100% solid - connected to another switch [built into router I had] via powerline adaptors and I got repeated drop outs.

Nothing special in network terms, it really is all basic stuff.

Could be the base nature of my NAS - possible the issue is at the NAS end and not the MP side - BUT I don't see same issue on my test system [which is powerline connected], but then again I don't watch video as such on it, so it never runs video stream for more than minute or two if testing. I'll try a movie tomorrow, see if I get drop out, and if so I'll see if there is anything in Windows logging I can use.

Cheers - JCMP.

JimCatMP

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 1, 2010
    Leeds
    Home Country
    Ok - +2hr test [LotR : Return of the King], not a missed beat:-< Absolute proof of nothing at all - sorry.

Differences in set up - one device is AMD based motherboard [test box], other is Intel unit. Both has same MP & Plugin versions, same UNC paths and same OS version [Windows 7 64 bit pro].

What else to try I can't suggest.

Cheers - JCMP

JimCatMP

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 1, 2010
    Leeds
    Home Country
    On Thursday [I have network to my self:) I'll move NAS back to sitting beside router and not on same powerline switch as main MePo box.

IF problem repeats, I think it points finger at Intel Motherboard, but given I've replaced router [upgraded broadband link] and replaced [like 4 like unit] the powerline adaptor after a fail, it's not a true 100% representation of previous setup where dropout where common problem.
    Test box and main MePo sit on same ring [actually main unit is closer to router in wiring terms than test box] as does TV server and a couple of WiFi repeaters - so again, nothing I can easily point finger at:-<

Out of interest - network adaptor on my Intel machine is Realtek PCIe GBE family, driver ver 7.53.216.2012. From other posters, I see we have a Dell MB within AMD CPU and Zotac box :->

TTFN - JCMP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom