MP RC3 & WHS - Freezes (1 Viewer)

Geeza

Portal Member
October 13, 2008
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hello

First, thank you Media Portal Developers for a great mediacenter. All my family use it - its excellant!

I understand Windows Home Server isn't supported, but hopefully someone can help.....

I'm running TV Server on WHS, feeding a client PC (XP Pro) with Media Portal RC3.0 (both recently updated from RC2.0)

Runs wonderfully in everyway, except the TV will work fine for a day then will just freeze up after a couple of seconds on starting. Only a reboot of the Server will get things running again. I don't get any messages, if I hit escape and wait I can try another channel, only to freeze after a couple of seconds.

Server/PC are well spec'd (dual/quad cores 2/3gb memory respectively). I've disabled Shadow copies on server. No luck at all. Aerial signal quality is 100% - TV runs extremely smooothly, whilst channels change within 2 secs.

Note, I've had this issue with both RC2 & RC3 versions.

Your help solving this problem would be really appreciated,

Best Regards

Lee

wingnut

Portal Member
October 18, 2008
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I am also running successfully on WHS - but I do not run my TV through it currently - am using as more of a movie server than anything - posting this so at least you will know others are with ya on WHS!! If you need help getting the MCE remotes working - lemme know!!

Geeza

Portal Member
October 13, 2008
Home Country
Thanks Wingnut, appreciated.

I'll eventually figure the problem out - I'll post back to help any one else with the same issue.

Geeza:D

pmcguire

Portal Pro
November 25, 2006
Home Country
Finland Finland
I installed tvserver on my WHS this weekend, It's been up so far for 20 hours with no problems.
Just to confirm that you did install it on a seperate disk? Not one that is added to the storage pool?

Geeza

Portal Member
October 13, 2008
Home Country
WHS & Mediaportal Freezing for unknown reason/s

Ok, after months of freezes I had an IT Consultant take a look at my Gigabit Network.

The key thing he did was go into the 'hosts' file on both the server and client pc and input the IP address of each other in. He also installed SQL toolkit, but I can't recall at this time what he did. He flushed DNS caches and examined the network card setups, event logs (all fine). His parting words were that I shouldn't have any further problems as there was a direct path between the server and client pc.

Good Times! Not a single freeze in a week. No pauses, stutters or lock ups.

pmcguire - sorry for the late reply, I'm using a storage pool disk (750gb virtual disk Raid 0). No room for seperate disks in my server (Dell Poweredge T105) which is in the attic.

Geeza

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom