MP Server Clarification (1 Viewer)

shilbert

Portal Member
December 8, 2004
Indianapolis
Alright, I am not sure if MP Server is for me or not.

I currently run MP in my living room. I use network shares to gain access to My Music, Pictures and Movies. I also use the Skype plug-in heavily since that is my only home phone.

If I run MP Server can I still use the skype plugin? Where do all my mp3's sit? Where can I access them from.

My understanding is that once I have MP server installed I can then install the MP Client on any computer in my house and get streaming TV. Is that correct?

Please help me understand.

Stuart

wishywashy

Portal Pro
January 31, 2005
Hill AFB, UT
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
The TV server is just for that- TV. The TV Server does the grunt work of recording/timeshifting and streaming TV. The majority of plugins will work on the client side of Media Portal. One's that won't are TV related (epg plugins).

Your MP3's can reside literally anywhere, on the server or on the clients. That is up to you.

Once you have the TV server up, you should be able to have multiple clients in any room of the house.

ps. Nice to see another Hoosier on the board. I grew up in Ft. Wayne.

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    It's been done very well, to the point where if you try the TV server and have some issues, all you have to do us remove the TV server client plugin then add back in your TV cards in config (you have to remove these entries to use the TV server).

Makes it very easy to try it out without having to commit to anything. Understanding this should make it clear that nothing else in your MP config is touched, just the TV section.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom