MP with a settop box (extender?) (1 Viewer)

PatM

Portal Member
May 14, 2009
Home Country
Canada Canada
I've been running MP1 for quite a while and it works great. I'm really missing integrated netflix so I've been trying to figure out if I can use a settop box as a frontend to MP so I can use its netflix app and still watch TV from the MP TV server and have to switch TV inputs and remotes all the time.

I can't seem to find any recent solid information on the topic. Does anyone know if this can be done?

Edalex

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 3, 2008
    Saratov
    Home Country
    Russian Federation Russian Federation
    Hello!
    First of all, I think there are some ways to use netflix in MP.
    I searched forums and found this https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/netflix-for-mediaportal-mpflix-p.132158/
    and this https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/netflix-for-onlinevideos.127814/
    Maybe you could find and test more plugins.
    Regarding your question for connecting MP TV Server to settopbox I can say it should be possible ofc if someones will code frontend and stb has enough power and memore to run it.
    But I'd recommend to check different ways to run netflix from MP. ;)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I agree with Edalex. :)

There are ways for some people to access NetFlix from within MediaPortal.
    If you want to use NetFlix through the STB, you can connect the STB to a PC capture card (eg. Hauppauge HD-PVR or Colossus). This effectively gives you the STB as a channel within MediaPortal.
    In theory an STB could be used "as a frontend to MediaPortal"... however no STB in the market supports connecting to MediaPortal's TV Server, so in practise the answer to that question is no.

Regards,
    mm

PatM

Portal Member
    May 14, 2009
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    I was checking plugins but they all seem to have died out. I think the closure of the public API was the cause of most. However, I was always searching for mediaportal and netflix which didn't hit OnlineVideos. I just installed it, tossed in my details and boom - Netflix in mediaportal.

Though that was in my laptop (always experiment on a machine OTHER than the one I actually use) so I don't know if the MCE remote works with it. Probably does though.

Thanks very much for the link - I didn't really want to buy another piece of hardware.

PatM

Portal Member
    May 14, 2009
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Works on my MP machine with remote just fine. For some reason the videos don't actually play - I get a still picture from the video and it sits waiting forever. Videos play fine on my laptop though so I probably have something wrong on the MP machine. Didn't have time to go through it last night so after work today I'll hit the logs and see what they say.

I'll also have to read the OnlineVideos docs and see how to remove all the sites I don't use (its probably dead easy).

Thanks very much for the tip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom