SweMart

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 25, 2006
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Hi,

I have two Xbox360 boxes at home doing nothing, my idea is to use them to watch recorded shows(recorded using MP) and divx movies.

Is it possible to have MP running while the MCE services that provide the extender functionality is running?

I've had a look at MS Media Connect but it together with the Xbox360 only allows streaming of pics and audio so it's basically useless for my purpose.

Does anyone know of any alternatives that enables video streaming from Windows or Linux to the Xbox360?

Cheers,
    Martin

jawbroken

Portal Pro
    August 13, 2005
    Home Country
    Afghanistan Afghanistan
    It would be great if extender functionality could be implemented in MediaPortal, but I believe that it is a largely unknown protocol that would require extensive reverse engineering. I believe I read about some Mac software that could stream audio to Xbox? I think it was closed source though, so it is not much help.

Perhaps I am wrong and someone knows where the details about how extenders work are available?

SweMart

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 25, 2006
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Laugh laugh.

Maybe it should format my question as a oneliner:

Is it possible to have MediaPortal running while the MCE services(no tuner configured) are running?

SweMart

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 25, 2006
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Just wanted to report that I tested this setup by installing MCE 2005 and MP in a VMware host, everything works ok as long as you don't try to watch TV :)

The extender runs as its own service that MP doesn't stop- good sh*t!

samuel337

Portal Pro
    August 25, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    jawbroken said:
    It would be great if extender functionality could be implemented in MediaPortal, but I believe that it is a largely unknown protocol that would require extensive reverse engineering. I believe I read about some Mac software that could stream audio to Xbox? I think it was closed source though, so it is not much help.

Perhaps I am wrong and someone knows where the details about how extenders work are available?

Here's something I found when I was trying to work out why my Linux NAS's UPNP media server couldn't be detected on my 360:

http://www.free60.org/oldwiki/Networking

Preconditions

The 360 will only talk with the MediaServer if certain parameters are fulfilled. In the MediaServer's Device Description XML the following tags must have the specified value:

* <modelName> must be "Windows Media Connect"
    * <friendlyName> must end in " : 1 : Windows Media Connect"

Only when this information is available the 360 will show the MediaServer in its Computer browser.

When the MediaServer is added by the 360 the <friendlyName> is not required to end in " : 1 : Windows Media Connect". At this point the 360 probably only uses the UUID to find the MediaServer.

EDIT: whoops, I see you're talking about the MCE-specific services.

Sam

tomtom21000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    Germany
    AFAIK, MP stops all mce services and starts them again when you leave mp. First this was a plugin, then it was integrated into mp. It was necessary for some reason to get mp working with mce.
    searched for the thread but couldn´t find it.

tomtom

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom