MP with WIN 7 Pro (1 Viewer)

WildBill

September 28, 2016
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
First I will apologize in advance for trying to get a short cut to a few probably very common questions, any chance someone could point me to a message that might hit the questions below?

See my system specs but in short it is a HTPC now -- Win 7 Pro, Ceton InfiniTV 6 Tuner TV Card with a Comcast Cable Card. Everything works perfectly, I can record 6 channels at once including Comcast Premium channels like HBO, Starz, etc (not On-Demand). I have been very happy with Windows Media Center but I am looking to move to Win 10 so will need a new media center and I would like to put it on Win7 first and try it out. So here are my questions:

- Does MP require WMC to work? (If "No" stop here)
- Does this support Cable Cards to allow premium channels from Comcast?
- Can it co-exist with WMC on Win7 Pro?
- Does support the Ceton InfiniTV 6 QAM 64/256 tuner Card?

So far all of the alternative to WMC fail one big question, and this is does it support CableCards, if not that would cut off all my premium channels like HBO...

If there is a short version summary or message I would sure appreciate a link to it, there is a LOT of content here.

Thanks

Edalex

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 3, 2008
    Saratov
    Home Country
    Russian Federation Russian Federation
    Hello, MP supports CableCard generally but your cable provider shouldn't set copy-once flag to let MP watch them.

Отправлено с моего Philips W6610 через Tapatalk

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello and welcome WildBill

- Does MP require WMC to work?
    No.

- Does this support Cable Cards...?
    Yes, MediaPortal supports Ceton, SiliconDust and Hauppauge CableCARD tuners.

...to allow premium channels from Comcast?
    Almost certainly not.

MediaPortal can receive (view or record) content that is flagged as copy-freely (no restrictions).
    MediaPortal cannot receive content that is flagged with copy-once restrictions.

Most if not all cable providers flag all content on "premium channels" with copy-once restrictions in all their markets (cities/areas). Unless Comcast has made an exception for the area you live in (extremely unlikely), your "premium channels" will be flagged with copy-once restrictions. Therefore MediaPortal won't be able to receive them.

- Can it co-exist with WMC on Win7 Pro?
    Yes, with very careful configuration and management. However I'd usually recommend using either WMC or MediaPortal exclusively.

- Does support the Ceton InfiniTV 6 QAM 64/256 tuner Card?
    Yes, as indicated above and in our wiki (manual).

So far all of the alternative to WMC fail one big question, and this is does it support CableCards, if not that would cut off all my premium channels like HBO...
    It's clear that you're a little confused. Software that "supports CableCards" may or may not be able to receive "premium channels".

Anyhow, if you want to be able to view and record "premium channels" with a PC, as far as I'm aware WMC is the only solution.

WildBill

September 28, 2016
    Home Country
    MM & ED -- Thank you for you quick and comprehensive reply, you saved me a lot of time and effort.

On the CableCard I was confused by the manual when it said it supports CableCards, I did think it was the part that enabled premium channels. Well over half of what my family watches are premium channels and yes Comcast does set them all to "Copy-Once" and with WMC this is no problem, it works perfectly and they are protected so they only play on the HTPC they are recorded on. It just strikes me so odd that Microsoft of all companies would be the only ones who could figure out how to support premium channels but it is classic Microsoft to pull a product they really got right.

I hear Silicondust is working on through a crowd funded effort but I am not holding my breath on it, looks like I'll have to keep my HTPC in Win7.

Again, thanks for your help.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    You're very welcome. :)

It just strikes me so odd that Microsoft of all companies would be the only ones who could figure out how to support premium channels...
    Take the time to do a little research into the cost of implementation, compliance testing and certification for copy-once content reception and the reasons for the situation will become blindingly obvious. In short: the aforementioned costs run into the hundreds of thousands of dollars. Microsoft are far from being the only people who are technically smart enough to figure out how to implement copy-once support; they're merely the only people who have enough money to afford to pay to implement it.

...but it is classic Microsoft to pull a product they really got right.
    Again, I suggest you do your research. To me it seems most likely that the cost of re-testing and re-certification - which must be done for each major release - is a big part of the reason that they canned WMC for Windows 10. The costs are disproportionately high, even for an organisation like Microsoft which has billions of dollars in the bank.

WildBill

September 28, 2016
    Home Country
    Thanks for the condescending answer :) I have had WMC with a cable card since it started and been watching for other products for many many years now and understand the issues so when I say "figure it out" I do not just mean technically. Granted the cost is high but the biggest issue is that it takes a near rocket scientist to get it working as measured by the average mass market consumer.

I think one of the two big issues that stalled this market are, 1, was while Microsoft built an acceptable front end for mass market consumers WMC, this pretty much iced out products such as yours and I think help kill the potential. However the death blow was when the Major PC makers stopped offering an option to have the new advanced TVCards once things went digital and encrypted.

The reason they stopped was because most users could not make it work, and that goes back to the software and hardware guys, they never did the final leg of integration for the hardware, OS, Firewall, and other common issues in installation or fixing when something goes wrong. Plenty of tech makers have solved this final link and those markets all exploded. Microsoft did their part and even the cable companies stepped up and made authorizing a breeze.

The fix is for a card maker like Ceton, who also makes a USB version to finish the final leg and have the funding to take losses while building critical mass, the costs you mentioned are not the issue, there are plenty of content providers that make it work just fine, you know, like all of the cable companies on the planet and internet companies like Netflix and Amazon. The missing link is the end point, every one else has stepped up and the business model is wildly successful.

This needs to be as easy to hook up and make work as a cable box, it is that simple, and before you tell me how hard it is, Comcast did it... I know it is complex, but you know many have done it, cable box makers, and on the PC side, virtually everything these days just works when you plug it in, even advanced video cards, and also protected content services who have the same licensing challenges.

With Microsoft out of the game I think it really opens the door for this if the last leg is closed, when it works even now the feature function and flexibility, one stop shopping for your media world, is far better user experience, now that mine is not harder to use than the DVR, my family loves it and watch all TV in the house with it, but there are not many who can, so again, that is the issue, not the business model.

I think that has to come from a company with a product like yours to get the funding to deal with these issues, pay the underfunded hardware makers to develop standards and full software integration, and to take some losses while the base grows.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I'm sorry if you thought my answer was condescending. I certainly didn't intend for what I said to be interpreted that way.

I have had WMC with a cable card since it started and been watching for other products for many many years now and understand the issues so when I say "figure it out" I do not just mean technically.
    In your prior reply you didn't just say "figure it out"; you specifically said: "figure out how to support premium channels". Hence the angle of my previous replies.

Granted the cost is high but the biggest issue is that it takes a near rocket scientist to get it working as measured by the average mass market consumer.
    Have you tried MediaPortal?
    If yes, I'd be more than happy to discuss setup and usability issues with MediaPortal's CableCARD support if you'd like to raise specific points or questions.
    If no, I'm not sure what basis you have for saying "figure it out" or that "it takes a near rocket scientist". With the greatest respect, I don't think anybody is in any position to pass judgement on our product until they've actually tried it.

I think...
    I find it very difficult to follow your logic and I disagree strongly with some of the things you said. Nevertheless you're fully entitled to hold and express your opinions.

I think that has to come from a company with a product like yours to get the funding to deal with these issues...
    As a small (less than 50 people) organisation made up of volunteers that survives on donations, we haven't got a hope of raising the required funding. Other organisations that are in a better position than us have tried and failed too. For example, look at JRiver's failed KickStarter campaign:
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tvplus/can-jriver-media-center-replace-windows-media-cent

If you go by that result, the business case is a very long way from being viable. Like I said, it's no wonder Microsoft canned WMC.

pay the underfunded hardware makers to develop standards
    Standards for CableCARD already exist. They're produced by industry bodies like CableLabs (here and here) and the SCTE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom