MP1 does not go to sleep mode (win 8.1 Pro x64) (1 Viewer)

marttoma

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 24, 2014
    Praha
    Home Country
    Czech Republic Czech Republic
    MP 1.8.0 Pre-release does not go to sleep mode.

I had issue with Windows 8.1Pro x64 to go to sleep mode (clean installation), but finallly I corrected it by simple steps (http://www.thewindowsclub.com/sleep-mode-not-working-windows-8-1).

Then I installed MP1. Unfortunatelly MP1 does not go to sleep mode any time. I discovered it happens when TV server process is running. When I kill TV server process, then windows goes to sleep mode.

No idea how to fix the MP1 to follow Power Scheduler settings...

Last edited:

marttoma

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 24, 2014
    Praha
    Home Country
    Thanks a lot for useful links. I think there is issue in Win 8.1 Pro x64 with MP1 in case of single-seat MP1 configuration (TV server and MP client in one common PC).

Let see below new research:

1. I made complete new Win 8.1 Pro x64 installation + I installed all available Win patches + I installed all drivers for all connected devices
    • driver for TV tunner Digital Devices - CineCT ... PCIe
    • driver for FM tunner Avermedia - A827 ... USB 2.0
    • driver for Wifi card - TP link ... PCIe
    • drivers for motherboard, GPU, CPU, Audio, Video cards
    2. Win 8.1 Pro went to sleep went I press sleep button, but it did not go to sleep based on times (like after 5 min) -> I corrected it according to this guideline: http://www.thewindowsclub.com/sleep-mode-not-working-windows-8-1.

3. I set up home group - I switch off to stream media + also in power schema advance setting I checked to allow to PC to go to sleep if sharing media

4. In this stage Win 8.1 Pro went to sleep mode without any problem even based on timer. I also checked via powercfg -requests if any device is blocking to go to sleep and there was everything OK:

• Display: None
    • System: None
    • Away mode: None
    • Execution: None
    • Perfboosts: None

5. Now I I installed MP1, after the installation I executed just these 2 configuration tasks (I did not configure anything else):
    • I activated Power scheduler plugin in TV server configuration tool in Plug&PLay mode (HTPC, 5min, no EPG wake up, no Reboot, no Ping monitor)
    • I activated Power Scheduler in MP configuration tool in plugins (all settings are empty)
    6. Now I restarted the PC

7. Now I checked the powercfg -requests again (MP1 is not running, just TV service is running):
      • System:
        • [DRIVER] Legacy Kernel Caller
        • [SERVICE] \Device\HardDiskVolume2\Program Files [x86]\Team Media Portal\MediaPortal TV Server\TVService.exe (TVService)
    In this stage MP1 did not run and Win 8.1 Pro (in idle mode without any user activity) did not go to sleep after the timer expired (i.e. 5min)​

8. I restarted PC and then I started up MP1 -> MP1 (in idle mode without any user activity) did not go to sleep after the timer expired (i.e. 5min)

9. I restarted PC and I checked powercfg -requests again (MP1 is not running, just TV servise is running):
    • System:
      • [SERVICE] \Device\HardDiskVolume2\Program Files [x86]\Team Media Portal\MediaPortal TV Server\TVService.exe (TVService)
    In this point the PC does not go to sleep based on the timer (5min).
    No idea what does it mean [DRIVER] Legacy Kernel Caller - which driver it can be?
    If I kill the TVService.exe then the powercfg -requests shows (MP1 is not running, TV servise is not running):

• System: None

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Result: in case of Win 8.1 Pro x64 the TVservice.exe is blocking to MP1 lets to go to sleep mode based on PowrScheduler setting "Put the computer to sleep after 5 minutes".

Last edited:

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Open a command prompt (with admin rights) and type/copy the following in there:
    Powercfg -requestsoverride Driver "Legacy Kernel Caller" System
    After that reboot the system and test again (and check if the above driver doesn't block standby)

If that doesn't help, check the PowerScheduler option 'PowerScheduler forces system to go to standby when idle' which you can find on the Advanced tab of the plugin config, and try again.

marttoma

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 24, 2014
    Praha
    Home Country
    Thank you.

If that doesn't help, check the PowerScheduler option 'PowerScheduler forces system to go to standby when idle' which you can find on the Advanced tab of the plugin config, and try again.

It works fine with this setting (PowerScheduler forces system to go to standby when idle). There is information in manual it is not recommended, do you know why? It looks its better then windows power management.

marttoma

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 24, 2014
    Praha
    Home Country
    There is an older post of mine about the not sleeping problem
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/pc-wont-go-to-standby.122776/page-2#post-1064673
    Most of the written above will be there as well but there are some more hints and especially something about the epg grabbing. Please check this.

Thank you, I have to try to disable EPG grabbing, may be it is also TV card in my case...
    What is strange I did not have any (!) issue like this in Windows 7 x64...

Luca Brasi

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 14, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    It is completely possible that the culprit is within some changes from win 7 to 8. But as we don't know yet what is causing your problem I guess the only way will be trial and error. If you're able to find the cause and it happens to be epg that might be some good information for the devs.

Last edited:

marttoma

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 24, 2014
    Praha
    Home Country
    It takes some time I hope I will know results tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom