MP1 does not go to sleep mode (win 8.1 Pro x64) (1 Viewer)

marttoma

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 24, 2014
    Praha
    Home Country
    Czech Republic Czech Republic
    Open a command prompt (with admin rights) and type/copy the following in there:
    Powercfg -requestsoverride Driver "Legacy Kernel Caller" System
    After that reboot the system and test again (and check if the above driver doesn't block standby)
    If that doesn't help, check the PowerScheduler option 'PowerScheduler forces system to go to standby when idle' which you can find on the Advanced tab of the plugin config, and try again.

1) Command "Powercfg -requestsoverride Driver "Legacy Kernel Caller" System" did not help :(

2) The issue that there is from command "powercfg -requests" (2 drivers and 1 service blocking to go to S3):
    • Display: None
    • System:
      • [DRIVER] Legacy Kernel Caller
      • [DRIVER] Legacy Kernel Caller
      • [SERVICE] \Device\HardDiskVolume2\Program Files [x86]\Team Media Portal\MediaPortal TV Server\TVService.exe (TVService)
    • Away mode: None
    • Execution: None
    • Perfboosts: None
    is related in my case to EPG grabbing activity (when I uncheck to execute EPG grabbling in idle mode, then PC can go to S3 (no blocking drivers or services).
    I did not have such issue in Windows 7.

michael_t

Portal Pro
    November 30, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

marttoma

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 24, 2014
    Praha
    Home Country
    If that doesn't help, check the PowerScheduler option 'PowerScheduler forces system to go to standby when idle' which you can find on the Advanced tab of the plugin config, and try again.

With this setting the MP1 works fine - I did not find by now any serious problem.

There is just one "strange" behaviour - in case the live TV live is ON and I press sleep button on MCE, it goes to away mode for ~2-3 sec and than it goes back (it show the screen like before the sleep command) and I have to press sleep button again and than it goes to sleep. If I press sleep second time button to early (within ~5-10 sec from to be back from away mode), I have to press sleep button more times to send HTPC to sleep.
    It is not big issue, but I would not expect it from user point of view. No problem to create log if needed.

marttoma

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 24, 2014
    Praha
    Home Country
    Hi,

after couple of day of testing I can confirm with "Power scheduler force system to go to standby when idle" work fine.

Martin

juro

Portal Pro
    March 23, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Yes, but now power scheduler will force the system standby. This is no more handled by windows. I used thsi configuration for years without any problem. But with this configuration also some disadvantages will come along. e.g. other events which will prevent standby will be ignored. In my case lights out for Server 2012 essentials which will prevent standby until a client backup is running

I have also a strange behaviour under Win 7X64. When I set up Power scheduler Windows to handle standby by everything works fine until I start the MP client. when MP client is started on my single seat system HTPC never goes to stand by?!

powercfg -requests command tells, that there is not event which prevents standby, also nothing to see in TV server, pc configuration. As I mentioned before I need to configure PS no in windows mode. In the past in WHS1 times there was an single client backup process which only was active during client backup. So I put this process in the PS process control tab and everything works fine. With 2012 server essentials there unfortunately is no extra process to control. Everything work fine for me with win configuration until MP client is not started. But in my HTPC the MP client is always started. So this so far is not an option for me.

marttoma

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 24, 2014
    Praha
    Home Country
    Hi JuRo,

thank you a lot for very valuable feedback. To be honest in my information one important part was missing:

"After couple of day of testing I can confirm with "Power scheduler force system to go to standby when idle" work fine for single-seat configuration without any MP client running on different computer".

I fully understand your comments. When I was testing Win7 x64, I did not have any issues with Power Scheduler - I was using Windows to manage to go to sleep mode. With the same HW configuration and Win 8.1 x64 I had to leave Windows power management due to fact, the EPG functionality prevents to go to sleep - happens with Digital Devices TV DBV C/T cards - no idea if this is TV card driver issue or some bug in Windows 8 or in MP ...
    In both cases I am using just single-seat MP configuration without any MP client running on different machine as TV server is running.

I have also a strange behaviour under Win 7X64. When I set up Power scheduler Windows to handle standby by everything works fine until I start the MP client. when MP client is started on my single seat system HTPC never goes to stand by?!
    Did you have this issue when you started up the MP client on the same machine as TV server was running or on different machine?

Martin (marttoma)

juro

Portal Pro
    March 23, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi Martin,

per definition a single seat system is a system where TV server and also the client running on the same machine ;-). So the answer to your question is yes.

BR
    JuRo

marttoma

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 24, 2014
    Praha
    Home Country
    I see, thank you.

I had same configuration (single-seat system) with Windows 7 x64 but I did not notice such issue you had with MP 1.7+.
    But now when I am thinking about it I had some or similar issue when I was running MP 1.6. I had also single-seat system (no other client on other machines) with Win 7 x64 and when the MP client was running, I had issue with sleep mode as well.

AFAIK even with single-seat (with MP clinet #1) system you can install MP client#2 on different machine and let it connected to TV server running on single-seat system - this is a reason I raised this question: "Did you have this issue when you started up the MP client on the same machine as TV server was running or on different machine?":)
    This kind of configuration I am testing few weeks already - but by now I did not care about sleep mode when MP client#2 is running.

Br,
    Martin

juro

Portal Pro
    March 23, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

I did not tested this because this covers not my case. As I mentioned before. Since my early tests with the Power Scheduler (when this plug in was an external plug in) I never got a running environment with the win energy settings (on different machines). So I always used Power scheduler to handle the standby. As I mentioned I have a new Server (Win Server 2012 essentials) for client backups which fully automatically starts all clients, runs a backup, and put the clients and the server into sleep mode, when backup is done. There is no separate backup process to watch. So I have an issue.

Br

Juro

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom