MP1 + MP2 Installation - TVServer Config Error (1 Viewer)

RobAtBentley

Portal Pro
July 31, 2013
Suffolk
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I've attempted to install an MP2 (Client + Server) instance on my Windows 10 PC that already has a long standing installation of MP1 (Client + Server) instance. ...mainly so that I can compare features and see whether moving to an MP2 only instance is worthwhile just yet. However, the MP1 session cannot find the TVServer service (which seems to running okay). Attempted to configure the MP1 TVService using the MP1 TV Service Config but ended up with error "Failed to startup tvserviceSystem.NullReferenceException...". Tried using the MP2 TV Config but received similar error.

I've attached the MP1 & 2 logs (MediaPortalLogs_24_11_15__16_44.zip & MediaPortal2-Logs-2015-11-24-16.46.30.zip) to aid the investigation. I've successfully installed MP2 only (Client & Server) on a different PC but don't have much access to it for experimentation as it's our main TV setup.

The reason I'm not jumping into pure MP2 as many of my videos and TV series listings have been customised and not sure, yet, whether MP2 can provide what I need.

Any help appreciated.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Both MP1 and Mp2 are using identical TV Server engines - but different ones, which are installed in parallel but can't run at the same time.

However it is absolutely essential that you deactivate the respective TVServer service on your server PC before installing one or the other version. From your description above I assume that you tried to install MP2 with a running MP1 TVService. it is dificult to judge the situaiton now and others may be more knowledgeable about this than I am. But you may want to check out the WIndows services, deactivate one or the other service and try to start the config for the non-activated one to see if the setup works or is completely messed up now.

RobAtBentley

Portal Pro
    July 31, 2013
    Suffolk
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Yes, I did install MP2 while the MP1 TVService was running. I've had a quick look in the list of Windows services but can only find the one called TVService, which I assume is the service for MP1. Is there another with a different name for MP2?
    After another reboot, the situation I have is...
    • MP1 TV is now working as per before the installation of MP2. i.e. MP1 session seems to working okay
    • MP1 and MP2 TV Service Config both show the MP1 configuration setup.
    • MP2 does not fire-up. No error messages or warnings.
    I've attached the MP2 logs to aid investigations as to what's going on there.
    Once again, any help appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom