MP1: Windows Server confusion (1 Viewer)

Stilez

Portal Member
November 19, 2014
Home Country
European Union European Union
I saw that thread - it was clear and encouraging that it could be done, but unfortunately some key points weren't covered in it, and I found myself unsure what was required to succeed.

Like HomeY, I run a server because of other features than administration and domain control (tuning and efficiency as a file server, WSUS, and NTFS deduplication, I backup 100-200GB databases on it). AD would be a problematic complication and if avoidable I'd like to avoid it.

I also wasn't clear whether IIS or WebMediaExtended are always needed, or just one way to get a fully working TV Server on 2012 R2 Standard - meaning, are they still needed to support any MP functions even if BDA is installed.

I tried the BDA patch as updated for 2012 R2 (Win 8.1 x64 source files), but got copying errors on 7 files. Perhaps that's why BDA isn't working? Is this usual and do I forcibly overwrite these target files? I wasn't sure as nobody else had touched on "file in use" on WS 2012 full editions.

Code:
C:\Users\Username\Desktop\BDA\files\System32\mpg2splt.ax
Access denied
C:\Users\Username\Desktop\BDA\files\System32\en-US\kswdmcap.ax.mui
Access denied
C:\Users\Username\Desktop\BDA\files\SysWOW64\bdaplgin.ax
Sharing violation
C:\Users\Username\Desktop\BDA\files\SysWOW64\mpg2splt.ax
Access denied
C:\Users\Username\Desktop\BDA\files\SysWOW64\MSVidCtl.dll
Sharing violation
C:\Users\Username\Desktop\BDA\files\SysWOW64\en-US\kswdmcap.ax.mui
Access denied
C:\Users\Username\Desktop\BDA\files\SysWOW64\en-US\MSVidCtl.dll.mui
Sharing violation

Overall I'm hopeful of light at the end of the tunnel, but still just a little fuzzy on pre-requisites :) And thanks for the help and replies :)

Last edited:

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I tried the BDA patch as updated for 2012 R2 (Win 8.1 x64 source files), but got copying errors on 7 files.
    That's the reason why I do not recommend BDA injection. It may work - or leave you with a system who's drivers are messed up and that is still not doing what you want.

I am confident that if you follow the recommendations in this thread (basically the same what @4Fred has done on his system), you will succeed in getting a working Windows Server-based system. IIS and WebMediaExtended are functional extensions for the server OS. They aren't needed to run MediaPortal.

Stilez

Portal Member
    November 19, 2014
    Home Country
    I am confident that if you follow the recommendations in this thread (basically the same what @4Fred has done on his system), you will succeed in getting a working Windows Server-based system.

i'm running Server 2012 R2 Datacenter, and i tried installing that damn Essentials package, but how do you bypass the domain stuff?? I don't run a domain server @ home. So what i did in the end, was the same 'trick' as with Server 2008: extract the BDA files from my Win 8.1 system and copy them.
    <trigger warning: anxiety ahead>:
    This is where I hesitate too. I can see why @HTPC_Sourcer says to follow a tried and trusted route that uses standard setups. But I'm not a sysadmin, I'm just a heavy data user who uses file serving features. I've no knowledge - even basic - about the implications of enabling a ton of new services or AD, don't have a clue what AD's impact would be on my network or how to secure or manage any dependencies the role would add to the server functions, and there's no detail listed about what config would be needed for the new role once added (@4Fred's post says some config will be needed of the new role, without detail).

I took a look at the server manager, and it seems to want to enable a ton of obscure functions irrelevant to simple file serving with this role. Can they be disabled after the needed media parts are installed?

Sorry for the apprehension, perhaps a bit of sympathy as I bought Server due to increasingly heavy database work, to robustly file serve and file deduplicate,which is a core competence of a server OS, not because I'm a sysadmin or know much about the other server functions. I know what I need to know about Servers to serve my NTFS shares more efficiently. And yeah, I don't want the thread to divert into "server admin support thread", and doubt anyone here would do that. If the config needed for Essentials role is relatively obvious and non-impacting, that would be worth knowing.

@HTPC_Sourcer, does your comment about IIS and WebMediaExtended mean they can be disabled afterwards, once it's all working? As I have no idea how one would secure a web server like IIS, so disabling would be better.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Sorry for the apprehension, perhaps a bit of sympathy as I bought Server due to increasingly heavy database work,
    Absolutely:). Although you might have not chosen your version wisely. Unfortunaletly this is going to turn into some server admin discussion now. You cannot expect to use a server system without understanding some elements of it.

As you may know, Server 2012 exists in four versions
    • Datacenter
    • Standard
    • Essentials
    • Foundation
    Datacenter and Standard have the same functionalities and differ only in their virtualization capabilities, allowing unlimited virtualization under Datacenter and up to two with Standard. One thing to note is that both versions require you to purchase an additional license (CAL) for every client you want to connect to it. While the system installation is easy, you will still need to configure every function manually. Can you do this? Sure, but from what you have posted here, you will probably need help.
    Foundation is an OEM package for preconfigured servers and not for retail sale, which leaves us with Essentials. Main difference to the Datacenter and Standard is that it comes with 25 CALS and its installation automatically configures a couple of things to simplify the server setup. The one thing it does - unless you interact - will be to add every client to the domain. Besides several advantages the most important thing will be that each client will now have a DNS entry that points to the domain server, not the router, with the effect that a client will have no internet connection without the server running. Again there are ways around this.

Coming back to your current situation: you have bought 2012 Standard. Unless you can return it and exchange it against Essentials - which I believe would save you quite some money;) - you are set with your choice. Regardless of the version you will be able to use MediaPortal. Additionally installed features such as IIS and WebMedia that come with particular server roles, are what they are: just installed. Unless you open the server for external access, you have not made it vulnerable in any way and can safely ignore the existence of these elements.

Give it go.

Last edited:

Stilez

Portal Member
    November 19, 2014
    Home Country
    @HTPC_Sourcer (and everyone) - So, I imaged the system drive, and played round. I managed to get the Essentials role version working, but also, I tried adding in the BDA files, forcibly overwriting the few existing BDA files that I had issues with. I succeeded in the end, both ways!

In case anyone else is doing what I did and looking for a BDA-driver patch solution, I can confirm that the BDA patch for 2012 R2 did eventually work, and appears stable. I also felt comfortable using Essentials Role too.

There were two minor issues with the BDA driver approach. In case anyone else comes looking for the answers, these were the steps I needed:
    1. For a localised system, some of the listed MUI files may not exist in your localisation. You'll need to copy the "en-US" or other language versions instead. Windows seems to have a "fallback" system and uses default files for the language, if a more exactly localised MUI isn't found. What this means is, if "...\system32\en-XX\*.mui" doesn't exist, then you may need to copy over "...\system32\en-US\*.mui" instead. Same goes for "...\sysWOW64\*.mui". I would guess the same is true for other languages as well.
    2. A few files might fail in the script, due to "In use" or "Access denied". I found that this seems to be just the usual "system ownership" issues. There are hundreds of web pages about replacing files that are system owned. Basically, no need for a script or anything, just hit console and use "takeown /F <file> /A" on any that are "access denied". Rename them to "file.name.BAK" or save them somewhere safe, in case you want to reinstate them. If any are persistently in use, then you might need Safe Mode or Recovery or an install DVD to move or rename them. Once the original files are owned/renamed/moved, the script will be able to install the files you got from Windows 8.1. Yu can reinstate them any time if you want.
    3. Bear in mind that Server systems include Previous Files, and Last Known Good which can be enabled in the registry (last bootup that worked). System Restore can also be patched similar to BDA too, if you like patching. System backup/imaging before BDA or any other modification is sensible though. I haven't seen anyone reporting BDA driver instability and I'm not seeing issues either, so with luck those aren't needed, but as always, the golden rule is, don't hack around with what you aren't prepared to fix if it goes wrong ;)
    So a big thank you, to the MP community on this thread! With your help, I managed to get it to work both ways, in the end, and once working, the TV was perfect! Now hopefully any questions I have will be about actually enjoying MediaPortal, not installing it ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom