[Finished] [MP2-489] Implement WOL feature for MP2.1 client <-> server setup (1 Viewer)

BlueMax1916

Super User
  • Team MediaPortal
  • Super User
  • January 29, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

as the MP2.1 client can not wake up a MP 2.1 server I would like to propose an implementation of this functionality. Maybe code from the MP 1 client configurator can be reused (learning MAC address of the server etc.).

This would be a feature which the average user - who does not want to fiddle around on each client with third party WOL programs - would expect from a MP 2.1 client <-> server setup.

Cheers

Blue Max

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Maybe code from the MP 1 client configurator can be reused (learning MAC address of the server etc.).
    Let me put this into some context:
    Yep - and as the WOL issue is assigned to me, some remarks about it:
    I started implementing a WOL service because I thought it would be easy to port the MP1 implementation to MP2. Well, that would have been easy, but the MP1 implementation is incomplete - it only supports IPv4 and therefore goes nuts when MP2 decides to establish the connection via IPv6. Unfortunately, implementing IPv6 support was not trivial, which is why I somehow lost interest in it (IIRC we use a P/Invoke to a native call to an ARP-method in Windows to get the MAC address for IPv4. Unfortunately, there is not ARP on IPv6...) - at least for now ;)

sonnybonds

Portal Pro
    December 3, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Question: What is when the MP2-Server is not on the same machine as the movie server as in my case it is on the machine with the sat card. The sources with the movies are indicated in server setup as net drives from the movie server. When I try to watch a movie does mp2-Server wake the machine with the net drives?
    If not can this be implemented in mp2 server?

Greetings

Sonny

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom