[Finished] [MP2-789] Volume controls (and shortcuts -I don't have media keys in my keyboard-) (1 Viewer)

medportg2

August 20, 2017
Home Country
Spain Spain
Hi.
I don't have a remote, and my keyboard is simple, no media keys. Mute can be done now with hover>enter in the icon, but there is no way for me to change volume.
I would suggest shortcuts like MP1 (- volume down, + volume up, m mute (or like Kodi, f8 mute)).
Thanks.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hello,

I assume you have a mouse? Every skin contains mouse controls for volume. See for example the WIn10 theme:

Volume.JPG

I don't really see the need to add any key controls.

medportg2

August 20, 2017
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    So one's have to use an additional skin? in the default one I don't have those controls, just the 'horn' icon that when clicked > mute. (I'm talking about 'online videos' use, not local videos playing).
    As for keyboard shortcuts, it's common to prefer them over using the mouse...
    If MP1 has them why MP2 not? I don't get it.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    So one's have to use an additional skin?
    Just an additional theme.;)

in the default one I don't have those controls
    That's correct. Currently only the WMC skin and the WIn 10 theme have volume controls.
    @ge2301 , is this something that you could maybe add to the other themes?

As for keyboard shortcuts, it's common to prefer them over using the mouse...
    I recall recent discussions where a user heavily insisted that the software should be 100% mouse-comntroled and that he didn't want keys ;).
    Tastes are different and for anything that one prefers there will be somebody else who doesn't.

If MP1 has them why MP2 not?
    MP2 is an independent product.

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    If MP1 has them why MP2 not? I don't get it.
    MP2 development is not based on MP1, but has a newly coded engine. Skins are also using another code language, so there is besides the name, same forum and few plugins no connection to MP1. Perhaps we should make this more clear in our home page. But as most people do not even look into the wiki, it might not help too much :)

That's correct. Currently only the WMC skin and the WIn 10 theme have volume controls.
    @ge2301 , is this something that you could maybe add to the other themes?
    I put it on my list, so it'll be available with next version.

medportg2

August 20, 2017
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    I recall recent discussions where a user heavily insisted that the software should be 100% mouse-comntroled and that he didn't want keys ;).
    Tastes are different and for anything that one prefers there will be somebody else who doesn't.
    Why not both *I don't mean you have to be like MP1 {or Potplayer or Foobar2000 or VLC or Kodi or whatever, all have both mouse and keyboard shortcuts, it's standard, not for standards sake but because is useful to have different control methods...}*

I understand MP2 is its own thing, and good for the user that prefer to use 100% mouse, maybe put an option in settings: 'disable shortcuts'; others prefer shortcuts...

Hawkeye

Portal Pro
    January 29, 2005
    Halle (Saale)
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    That's exactly the point where you should consider making it optional. I'm using the CEC remote plugin but my TV isn't supported very good. So I use the keyboard now and then. And I have to say at the moment controling MP2 by keyboard can be a pain in the ass. For example I don't know how to open the OSD or while playing a DVD jump directly to the menu (if that's possible at all) ...

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    The Input Device Manager has been completely reworked and is now capable of consuming HID input. In other words, every HID device will now work in MP2. :)

Different input devices can now be individually configured to map MP2 commands and screens function (e.g. Movies or TV) to a key (combination) on the device.

This will be rolled out with MP 2.2.1

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom