MP2 client never connects (1 Viewer)

CM Klein

Portal Member
June 19, 2016
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Thanks again, 192.168.1.11 was a previous server when I was testing with v1

I created a new server and changed the ip to that I.e 192.168.1.68

My problem is that the client setup options don't seem to update in effect when I have changed them.

I checked up no as well and it is all set up in Windows 10 on both machines.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    My problem is that the client setup options don't seem to update in effect when I have changed them.
    You first need to detach the "old" server from your client in Settings - general - connections - MediaPortal 2 Server (at least similar to that, I'm using German language so the translation may not be 100% accurate). Then the "new" server will be found. This can not be done without you telling the client that "his" server did not exist any longer... Imagine your server is offline for power saving when you start your client. Wouldn't be too cool if connection get lost in such circumstances... So you need to tell your client that the server it's connected too is gone forever.

CM Klein

Portal Member
    June 19, 2016
    Home Country
    Hi

If I go to settings/connectivity on my new server which is called tvserver (192.168.1.68) there is one client connected which is the one I want connected first as it is on the same server machine so to me that is fine. My issue is that the other client on a different laptop never connects.

So as I understand you to mean I have gone to settings/connectivity on tvserver and disconnected the only showing client (which as above is the same machine). The other laptop never appears in the connected clients even after restarting Media Portal. Maybe Media Portal just can't deal with Windows 10. I have attached the latest logs done just now from the client with the server running.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    I have gone to settings/connectivity on tvserver
    No, you should detach the Client on your second system (laptop)!!!! as it most likely has automatically attached to the "old" server with the no longer existing IP... Start the MP2 client software on your laptop. Then in GUI go to "Settings - general - connections - MediaPortal 2 Server" as described above.
    Zwischenablage-1.jpg

After this you may try to attach this (second) client again, now to the "new" server. If this did not work you most likely have issues with your network and/or UPnP (MP2 is communicating over UPnP, so it has to be enabled and working)...

CM Klein

Portal Member
    June 19, 2016
    Home Country
    Hi,

I am so grateful for all this assistance, thanks

I have got good news, it is working now and just because it may help someone else I will share it here.

One of the things that was mentioned was MP dislikes dual LAN cards and that it was a network issue, well..

I am using a salvaged Precision T1500, perfect in every way except that the on board LAN card was faulty so I disabled it in the bios and installed a pci realtek card. I only realized this evening that it had not disabled properly so have sorted this and have also made the additional changes below to get it working.

On the laptop I was using wireless so I plugged in a cable and temporarily disabled my wireless card.

I modified my router lan settings to leave the first 9 addresses out of the scope and gave my server the static address 192.168.1.5 and my client (cable) 192.168.1.6 and rebooted both machines. Bingo, it worked straight away and for the first time it found the server from the client.

I have only one final question, on the server and client you have the option to add ip addresses in network bindings, is this supposed to be the server ip or the clients, it is working anyway but I would just like to be clear on this.

Once again thanks for all the help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom