Wiki MPAR & (LAV) Audio Decoder - LAV Mixing settings (1 Viewer)

notfast

Portal Member
July 8, 2010
Home Country
Denmark Denmark
For MPAR best audio quality "Enable Mixing" should be Unchecked.
That what I have found in my 7.1 setup using a recent surround receiver able to do HD audio and what not.

Lav_mixing.jpg

Also using Matrix encoding makes the audio sound stage sound narrow.

Last edited:

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I mix non stereo to 5.1 using mpar, but what is the problem you have with lav mixing? It should work with mpar.

notfast

Portal Member
    July 8, 2010
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    If you have a 5.1 system and you set LAV to mix all audio to 2.0, then LAV only sends stereo to MPAR.
    Or perhaps you have matrix encodeing checked then LAV will up mix all audio - instead of letting our SR do it.
    Thats defines MPAR and getting "clean untouched" audio to ones surround receiver - witch is the hole point of MPAR if I understand correct ?

Last edited:

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    If you have a 5.1 system and you set LAV to mix all audio to 2.0, then LAV only sends stereo to MPAR

This is not surprising, and is intended behaviour.

Thats defines MPAR and getting "clean untouched" audio to ones surround receiver

If you remix 5.1 down to 2.0 then audio is not untouched.

getting "clean untouched" audio to ones surround receiver is the hole point of MPAR

No, the main feature of MPAR is to speed up / slow down audio (movie fps) to match the refresh rate (display fps).

Or perhaps you have matrix encodeing checked then LAV will up mix all audio - instead of letting our SR do it.

I don't know what SR is.

PS. I am actually using LAV mixing (not MPAR mixing) with MPAR and it is working fine and as intended. There is a guide here, that explains how things work: https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/guide-perfect-playback-display-calibration.119610/

notfast

Portal Member
    July 8, 2010
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    SR is surround receiver.

Okay, the guide do not explain what and how, it just tells you to use some settings.
    Why do you want do do channel mixing/speaker setup mixing in two different placers?

I'm telling you that after uncheck "enable mixing" I now having a much better sound quality and much wider soundstage, now that i Surround reciver is doing the "up mixing" to 7.1 from both stereo and 5.1 pcm streams.

Before it work fine, but not great and MP could not match my sony blyray player on 5.1 tracks - Now MP can and I love it - makes me what to listen to all my music videos one more time.

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    it's neither here nor there. Mixing isn't really necessary so you are correct and box shouldn't be ticked in guide. If you want to mix it should be done at 1 point. Since you are using MPAR it is all decoded by the HTPC regardless. I should probably untick that box in the guide, but my main point was mixing doesn't break MPAR and can be used with MPAR if wanted (MPAR requires decoded audio to do it's thing). My audio receiver is pretty crappy anyway it's only 5.1 using optical toslink. I would rate my HTPCs abiliity to decode audio on par with my receiver. Guide is mostly optimized for video. Haven't got around to the audio side of it. Nice to hear your enjoying your HTPC's audio more.

Last edited:

notfast

Portal Member
    July 8, 2010
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Thank you.
    Now that I read my last post I may come out a bit hard, that was not my intention.
    I was both happy and angry about that check box - Happy because : unchecked it made my HTPC much much better sounding. Angry because : I would have like to known long time ago to uncheck it.

So just a heads up - you (the readers of this forum) you may have basic for a better sound experiences :)

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    It makes no difference on my PC I have a 5.1 system and had mixing set to 5.1 with stereo set to not upmix.

Stereo Source -> Not Mixed
    5.1 Source -> Not Mixed
    6.1 Source -> Not Mixed (extra channel is discarded)
    7.1 Source -> Not Mixed (extra channel is discarded)

There are not many other formats. so it's kind of a redundant setting, atleast on my HTPC. But you are right, there is little point in having that box ticked for most users, so I updated the guide. I'd still recommend mixing enabled for users with only 2 channel audio.

You might want to change the first post though, bc MPAR does work with mixing :)

Last edited:

notfast

Portal Member
    July 8, 2010
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    It makes no difference on my PC I have a 5.1 system and had mixing set to 5.1 with stereo set to not upmix.

Stereo Source -> Not Mixed
    5.1 Source -> Not Mixed
    6.1 Source -> Not Mixed (extra channel is discarded)
    7.1 Source -> Not Mixed (extra channel is discarded)

There are not many other formats. so it's kind of a redundant setting, atleast on my HTPC. But you are right, there is little point in having that box ticked for most users, so I updated the guide. I'd still recommend mixing enabled for users with only 2 channel audio.

You might want to change the first post though, bc MPAR does work with mixing :)

Yes you are right MPAR works with mixing, but some how it just sounds better with out it ticked and have my Surround receiver do the mixing.
    My setting was 7.1.

Just tried ticking Matrix encodeing PLL, and that dos nothing good for the audio quality with my setup.

Perhaphs one can say that if you have resent surround receiver then let it do the mixing, and just tell MPAR what you got.
    And if you have a older setup or analog output from sound card then you want LAV til do some mixing and might want PLL Matrix encodeing?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom