MPC-HC 16:9 Aspect Ratio problem (1 Viewer)

thijssie909

Portal Member
August 7, 2009
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
TV-Server Version: don't use it
MediaPortal Version: 1.1 beta 1
MediaPortal Skin: StreamedMP
Windows Version: 7 64-bit
CPU Type: Q6600
HDD: Samsung SATA 1TB
Memory: 6 gig Kingston
Motherboard: Gygabyte
Video Card: HD4670 Sapphire Ultimate
Video Card Driver: Catalyst 9.8
Sound Card: onboard (SPDIF)
Sound Card AC3: onboard (SPDIF)
Sound Card Driver: latest realtek
MPEG2 Video Codec: MPC-HC
MPEG2 Audio Codec: MPC-HC
h.264 Video Codec: Haali Media Splitter

Hello,

I have a problem which I can't really solve at the moment. I use MPC-HC as an external player.

When I playback a 1920 x 1080 16:9 (mediainfo confirms this is the aspect ratio) bluray movie on my monitor (also 1920 x 1080 16:9) or my LCD TV (also 1920 x 1080 16:9) MPC-HC somehow plays the video with black bars on top and bottom.

My expectations is that it will play fullscreen, this is correct right?

When I scale to a 16:9 tv the screen gets filled like it should, except the movie gets stretched and doesn't look natural anymore.

So my question is:
Why doesn't play MPC-HC this video fullscreen?

I have tried several options with PnS, touch window from inside / outside etc, but this doesn't help.

Strange thing is that a 2.40:1 movie does gets played fullscreen.

I hope someone can help me out. :D

pilehave

Community Skin Designer
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2008
    Hornslet
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Does the picture look normal when it plays? I mean, does i LOOK like the aspect ratio is ok? Perhaps you can post a screenshot :)

thijssie909

Portal Member
    August 7, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    The picture does look normal. And when I scale it to 16:9 the picture (faces for example) gets vertical stretched.

Therefore, I find it strange and perhaps the aspect ratio isn't 16:9 although mediainfo tells me so? This however would be really weird, because I have this problem with all 16:9 / 1920 x 1080 movies.

pilehave

Community Skin Designer
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2008
    Hornslet
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    If it looks normal then why do you think something is wrong? Most 16:9 movies are with black bars in top and bottom to prevent the usage of the terrible pan-scan cutout. Doing this a movie can easily loose 33% of the picture.

If this movie was in the cinema it should have black bars. If not, then it was either a directly-to-dvd or directly-to-tv.

thijssie909

Portal Member
    August 7, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Hmmm, I never thought about it that way.

I always assumed that the picture itself, thus without the black bars has an aspect ratio of 16:9 and therefore should fill the screen completely.

Can we conclude that the aspect ratio information (16:9) isn't that valuable and we should wait and see if the movie will get played fullscreen?

Shadowless

Portal Member
    January 19, 2009
    Home Country
    hmm sounds like to me you have a 16:10 monitor. I have a 16:10 monitor. For me I have that issue but its' no big deal because I use the zoom feature in media portal to cut a bit of it, so I don't have the bars.

Thats what I think. :) Hope it helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom