[Blog] MPEI V2 -The Easy Way to Install Skins and Plugins (1 Viewer)

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    @DieBagger - you have a request or suggestion ;)?

How about morpheus_xx and/or my fellow countryman i-loop on the future of tv-server (specially when it comes to mp2). Not sure who else is involved in tv-server development... ;)

:D

Nice suggestion, thanks! I'll see what I can do. Just keep in mind:
    • I don't want to use up any development time, especially for MP 2, so I try to work around that
    • We don't want to get too specific about MP 2 at this point. We want to inform users but not disclose all our secrets for others to copy before we finish! ;). Still I'm sure there is lots we can tell you and I will find out the Inside Scoop :p

I can give one secret away though :D we are NOT going to call it TV-Server any more! :eek:

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Shukuyen
    An idea for the installer: post update notifications to the InfoService plugin :)
    Why not just sign up for our RSS feeds? I have all new downloads/updates scrolling on my Home Page via InfoService Plugin now!

funkstar

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 9, 2005
    Home
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    [I can give one secret away though :D we are NOT going to call it TV-Server any more! :eek:
    Ooooh! this has got me thinking about posibilities now :)

I'm glad though, as the features I would expect from the backend service for MP2 wouldn't all fall under TV serving :)

Shukuyen

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 8, 2008
    Lake of Constance
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    @Shukuyen
    An idea for the installer: post update notifications to the InfoService plugin :)
    Why not just sign up for our RSS feeds? I have all new downloads/updates scrolling on my Home Page via InfoService Plugin now!

What I had in mind was some kind of "New version of Plugin xy is available - click to download" popup :)

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Thank you for this. Will I be able to use this for alternative .xml / media files for an already installed skin?

Example -

I have modified the streamedmp v0.9.601 'now playing' screen.
    So I want to create an extension "Kiwi's now playing mod for streamedmp v0.9.601"
    Dependency = StreamedMP v0.9.601 is installed
    Then I would have two options
    1. Install "Kiwi's now playing mod for streamedmp v0.9.601"
    Overwrite \skin\streamedmp\mymusicnowplaying.xml with my modified version
    Overwrite some of the \media\ files with my versions
    2. Revert back to original files
    Overwrite \skin\streamedmp\mymusicnowplaying.xml with the original version
    Overwrite some of the \media\ files with the original versions

Is this possible?

Cheers
    Kiwi

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Hi Kiwi - Nice question! You always have your thinking cap on don't you! From my interview with Dukus, it sounds like it might be possible. But your files would have to be posted online somewhere so you can link to them, and your update file (which the installer can create for you), when you use MPEMaker. At least that is what I understood. Dukus can correct me if I am wrong :).

I also had a similar thought and am quite excited to see if it will work. Not only for Skin Mods, but perhaps even for bug fixes/patches to the skin. That way users who don't feel comfortable using aMPed SVN can just hit the update button and get the latest fixes instead of a whole new skin every time. However, as usual, you are 10 steps ahead of us. I feel that first we need to get skins and plugins to use MPEI and ensure all their basic needs are met. I need to create a working MPE1 file for aMPed before I could implement such things. Lots to learn! But exciting!

dukus

Portal Pro
    January 20, 2006
    Home Country
    Romania Romania
    Yes, it is possible. You need to create a separated extension, which depend on StremedMp (to be usable, for StremedMp need to have a MPE package). On uninstall all files will be restored

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    BTW - Kiwi and others, if you have specific questions about MPEI V2, it might be better to post them in the Extension Installer V2 Forum. That way they won't get lost or buried here in this Blog post.

Reg

Portal Pro
    November 22, 2008
    Christchurch
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand

If you want to find out the new, easy way to install and auto update plugins and skins, read on! Yes, you heard me, I said 'auto update'. You can even choose only the plugins and skins that support your version of MediaPortal. Impressed? You should be!

Here is The Inside Scoop Vol 1-2 with Duka aka Dukus:
    MPEI V2 - The Easy Way to Install Skins and Plugins

Hey great blog post Dadeo!!!! Great plugin Dukas!!!! Great that a few more people are making plugins that utilize it!!

I really love simple installers and automatic is a great idea too. The only hitch I have found is that the automatic feature needs to be used with caution. I found the other day several plugins had auto updated to versions not yet supported by my skin and when I went to UN-install them they would not un-install. I had to go start deleting dll files before I could put my older versions back.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom