MPMovie for Moving Pictures - Trailers & more for your movie collection (1 Viewer)

ebswift

Portal Member
February 29, 2008
Home Country
Hi, I've made a web app called MPMovie (for want of a better name) with an associated desktop sync app to complement Moving Pictures. I made it for my own use, but now that it's working quite well, I thought others might be able to use it.

MPMovie uses a desktop synchronisation application to upload the Moving Pictures database and thumbnails via ftp to a web location. The MPMovie ASP.Net 4 application then uses the uploaded files to provide a nice web-based listing of all your movies, along with directors, actors, IMDB score, genre and rating. There's more to it though, otherwise it wouldn't be worth the effort to setup.

The extras that MPMovie provides are firstly, the ability for friends to use web page parameters to ask for more information on a selection of movies. They can tick a box beside each movie they want info on, click submit and the list will be emailed to you.

The second extra is something I've been mulling over for a while... how to get trailers without having to download and build up a collection to go with my movies. I figured out that if you use google video search and seed it with each title, and display only on click, you can get trailers for any movie at well over 90% accuracy (tested with english language) and you don't bog the page loadup down. So... I've solved my own issue of wanting trailers for my list of movies.

At the moment, setup and use information is in the source for MovieSync and MPMovie respectively, I'll update my web page with more info as I get time. For the moment I'll just get the app out there.

The app can be installed on a local IIS installation for testing. Use the google search 'free asp.net 4 hosting' to find a free host to run the app on. The whole thing won't use much space at all. If you want to compile the code yourself, you can use Visual Studio c# Express 2010 & Visual Studio Web Developer Express 2010 for free. If you make improvements, please share them to benefit other users.

You can download the source and binaries, as well as access the online demo from here:

MPMovie - Online Movie Listings for Moving Pictures (MediaPortal)

I hope it's useful for someone else.

e6NpY.png

bodiroga

Portal Pro
January 1, 2008
Home Country
Spain Spain
Hi ebswift!

Many thanks for your work!

Can you give us an example of the final result? And, how can this be used? What files must be edited? I change manually the MovieSync.exe.config file but I am getting an error when I start the MovieSync.exe file. The error is:

"Uploading database...
Uploading thumbnails...
<2046> [1769814389].jpg

Unhandled Exception: System.Net.WebException: The remote server returned an error: <553> File name not allowed.
at System.Net.FtpWebRequest.CheckError<>
..."

There are more "at System.Net..." error lines.

What I am doing wrong?

Many thanks for your help and keep up with the good job.

Regards,

Aitor

ebswift

Portal Member
February 29, 2008
Home Country
Hi Aitor, I'm starting on the sample site right now. Of course I am running it live on my server, but I want to get it running on a cheap host to show it's possible.

I couldn't actually find a free asp.net 4 host, so the best I could come up with was Web Wiz hosting which costs about 13 bucks US for a once-off setup fee, then it's free. I'll do the setup now, then post back. Then I'll work on a tutorial on getting it running.

As for the errors in MovieSync, I wonder if it needs the remote folders created first... In the root folder you specified in config (where the database gets uploaded to), create an images folder, and in that folder create a Thumbs folder and see how that goes. If that doesn't work, try a program called FileZilla to see if you can upload that first thumbnail that broke manually. If that doesn't work then it could be a limitation of the filesystem at the other end.

Let me know how it goes.

Troy

bodiroga

Portal Pro
January 1, 2008
Home Country
Spain Spain
Hi Aitor, I'm starting on the sample site right now. Of course I am running it live on my server, but I want to get it running on a cheap host to show it's possible.

I couldn't actually find a free asp.net 4 host, so the best I could come up with was Web Wiz hosting which costs about 13 bucks US for a once-off setup fee, then it's free. I'll do the setup now, then post back. Then I'll work on a tutorial on getting it running.

As for the errors in MovieSync, I wonder if it needs the remote folders created first... In the root folder you specified in config (where the database gets uploaded to), create an images folder, and in that folder create a Thumbs folder and see how that goes. If that doesn't work, try a program called FileZilla to see if you can upload that first thumbnail that broke manually. If that doesn't work then it could be a limitation of the filesystem at the other end.

Let me know how it goes.

Troy

Hi Troy!

Thank you very much for your help and your quick response ;)

I think that I'm going to way until you finish your test and post the tutorial, because my knowledge of host and those things are very limited. Thanks anyway for your help and I will be on the alert for you news.

Regards,

Aitor

ebswift

Portal Member
February 29, 2008
Home Country
I haven't had any success with my cheap web host. SQLite is made up of managed & unmanaged code, and it seems web hosts won't allow unmanaged code to run for security reasons. I've yet to ask them if they'll enable it for SQLite, I'll see how that goes. I did try csharp-sqlite but snagged once again - it won't read db3 files created by sqlite :/. So basically, when you're scoping out a host, ensure they'll support sqlite and the .Net Framework 4 and you'll be set.

In the meantime, visit the MPMovie info page to view the online demo:

MPMovie

Brungle

Portal Member
January 16, 2009
Sorry for the thread resurrection, just came across this when looking for trailer addons for moving pictures. Nice work. Did you ever expand it further? I'm a .net developer so wouldnt mind having a play if you wouldn't mind sending me the solution files?
Cheers

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    Sorry for the thread resurrection, just came across this when looking for trailer addons for moving pictures. Nice work. Did you ever expand it further? I'm a .net developer so wouldnt mind having a play if you wouldn't mind sending me the solution files?
    Cheers

Keep in mind there is another project to allow remote (and local) access to your MediaPortal collections via smartphones, laptops or other desktops.

MPExtended @ http://mpextended.github.com/

You can even stream MP-LiveTV with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom