MSNNotify Plugin (1 Viewer)

CodeMonkey

Portal Pro
December 8, 2004
North America
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I have coded up a process plugin than signs into MSN Messenger and pops up a notify window when the status of any of your contacts changes (signs in/out etc.). I had no use for using messenger from within MP, but would find it of value to be told contact status, that's the reason I created the plugin.

Unfortunately you will not be able to run the full blown messenger plugin at the same time as this new plugin (at least not with the same account, MSN doesn't allow that).

Like the CallerID plugin, you can put thumbnails in Thumbs\MSN named the same as the contact name (i.e. if you had 'codemonkey' as a contact, putting a thumbnail as Thumbs\MSN\codemonkey.jpg) will display the image file as part of the notification

Like I said earlier, I have it coded but not tested. I am currently travelling (any forum members live in Madrid? :) ) so I will not be able to test this until I return. But I expect to put something here to test within 2 weeks.

mzemina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    Home Country
    CodeMonkey - Can it work with (or maybe just like) the CallerID plugin so these notifications come in like the callerID overlay does?

Mike

CodeMonkey

Portal Pro
    December 8, 2004
    North America
    Home Country
    mzemina said:
    CodeMonkey - Can it work with (or maybe just like) the CallerID plugin so these notifications come in like the callerID overlay does?

Mike

That is exactly how it does work already :)

mzemina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    Home Country
    CodeMonkey said:
    mzemina said:

Mike

That is exactly how it does work already :)

Cool! (where is that thumbs up emoticon)

Duh, where is the slapping head emoticon when you need it? Sorry!

LordMessi

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 4, 2005
    Ørsø, Dronninglund, Denmark
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    hmm - perhaps you could consider integrating it with the msn plugin - so the user can use both....and perhaps select if they want to use both the normal msn plugin and your plugin, or just one of them.

That might be the best solution in the long run.

CodeMonkey

Portal Pro
    December 8, 2004
    North America
    Home Country
    LordMessi said:
    hmm - perhaps you could consider integrating it with the msn plugin - so the user can use both....and perhaps select if they want to use both the normal msn plugin and your plugin, or just one of them.

That might be the best solution in the long run.

I thought of that, but the GUI plugins seem to only be active when you select it from th emenu, and the process plugins only seem to run in the background with no GUI. I suppose I could modify the GUI one to send messages to the process one and use it as a conduit to the messenger network. But that seems like a lot of work. Of course if messenger would allow multiple simultaneous logins my problem would be solved :)

Khris

Portal Pro
    July 2, 2005
    Edmonton, AB
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Would it be possible to create a plug-in for MSN messenger which could "broadcast" user online messages in a similar way that the YAC Caller ID plugin works?

For example, I have MSN running on my desktop computer. When someone logs into MSN it would be cool to see that popup on my TV (since my desktop is across the room from my HTPC computer). Depending on who it is would determine if I wanted to drag my lazy ass over to the computer and talk to them! :)

I don't know how hard it would be to program such an idea (since I have no programming experience), however wanted to voice my 2 cents.

CodeMonkey

Portal Pro
    December 8, 2004
    North America
    Home Country
    Khris said:
    Would it be possible to create a plug-in for MSN messenger which could "broadcast" user online messages in a similar way that the YAC Caller ID plugin works?

For example, I have MSN running on my desktop computer. When someone logs into MSN it would be cool to see that popup on my TV (since my desktop is across the room from my HTPC computer). Depending on who it is would determine if I wanted to drag my lazy ass over to the computer and talk to them! :)

I don't know how hard it would be to program such an idea (since I have no programming experience), however wanted to voice my 2 cents.

You couldn't do that with the MSN client from Microsoft that you probably use. But using DotMSN a client could be created to do that.

CodeMonkey

Portal Pro
    December 8, 2004
    North America
    Home Country
    Status update

I have it more or less complete. Ran into two snags:

1) The GuiNotifyDialog in MP doesn't queue up messages, so when I get the flood of MSN status updates right when the plug in logs in, it looks ugly on the screen and you really can't tell who is logged in. For now I paused the thread for a few seconds to allow the dialog to display. But ultimately I should make GuiNotifyDialog a bit smarter.

2) For some reason after I login and get the current status of all online contacts, I immediately get a server error and get logged out. Its error 540 if that means something to anyone. I sent email to the DotMSN guys today and I hope they can give me an idea as to what's happening.

Once number 2 is resolved, it will be releasable. Not sure how to do it, it required slight MP changes outside of the plugin itself. So I may just give the plugin code and the other changes to a dev to put right into MP. Any volunteers :)

But in any event, its close :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom