Multi-tuners playing on the same screen (not PIP) - Is this possible? (1 Viewer)

Wackychimp

March 27, 2014
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Hi all.

I've been running a WMC box in my home theater for the last year or so. Last weekend I was sitting there watching NCAA tournament on my projected 136 inch screen and loving it.

Then I started to think how awesome it would be to project all of the games at once. I've got 3 tuners on an HDHR Prime but don't think I've ever seen a way to project all 3 feeds at once. WMC being what it is, I figured I had to look elsewhere. I was hoping that Media Portal might be a solution.

I see that PIP (picture in a picture) is part of SlimTVClient on MP2 but I wasn't sure if it does exactly what I want. I don't really want PIP - I want 3 TV feeds playing at the same time at the same size (or perhaps one larger and 2 medium sized pictures).

Is there any way to do this "sports bar" kind of thing? Thanks for your thoughts.

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    MP2 in general supports two players that are active concurrently.
    But in background it supports an unlimited number of players. We use this also for background video.

This means a plugin could play three or more streams concurrently if wanted, but it has to be developed.

Wackychimp

March 27, 2014
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Exciting! Three more questions:

Could the windows all be of the same size?

I'm locked into CalbeCARD thanks to Time Warner. I realize that for me this would depend on if channels were DRMed or not. Any other concerns though with this idea and CableCARD?

How do I start drunning up support for developement? I doubt I could program it myself - I'm a Web developer & I've never really done any software dev.

Thanks!

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Could the windows all be of the same size?
    Presentation is a question of the skin, you can apply the video frame to any control (there is the "VideoBrush" which "paints" the image to control).

I'm locked into CalbeCARD thanks to Time Warner. I realize that for me this would depend on if channels were DRMed or not. Any other concerns though with this idea and CableCARD?
    You can check the SlimTV client plugin: the SlimTvHandler takes care for managing streams https://github.com/MediaPortal/Medi...r/SlimTvClient/TVHandler/SlimTvHandler.cs#L51. You see there is a init with "2", but could be extended to more. Each "stream" is separated by a user (user1, user2, userN).

To support more than 2 players, you would need another VideoBrush, like done for VideoBackground: https://github.com/MediaPortal/Medi...kgroundManager/Models/BackgroundVideoBrush.cs. It only takes care to expose the videoplayer's frames to be painted as texture.

How do I start drunning up support for developement?
    Best would be to check the source codes for given plugins: SlimTVClient and BackgroundManager (here VideoBackground, it creates own players and brush)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom