Multiple Deployments - Retain User Data (1 Viewer)

mccay_a

Portal Pro
April 16, 2009
Home Country
Ireland Ireland
Simple one I hope

I am fairly Familiar with Media portal, but i just want to confirm

I build Media portal with plugins onto my home server ( media is on multiple drives )
I configure as i want it including plugins - ( all working as expected)
I use the Backup settings plugin to take a backup
I install the same version and skin version on new PC, then Restore from backup "Peachy"
I then access config and remap folders to the new computer TV Shows, Movies Pictures and import content

All Nicely Done

Now my question

I upgrade plugins on my own media portal, and build as I want it with latest releases ( Nicely sitting as i want it)
Now i want to backup and restore onto multiple client media portal machines that i look after

So I backup Databases from client machine, restore backup from my machine then restore databases again to retain clients content

How do i maintain the folder mappings specific to this client machine during this whole process. Would the user data under the users profile be sufficient or would this cause version issues with updated plugins etc

I see the Backup settings plugin allows you to unselect user data during backup and restore, would this work so that only teh main components get updated, but local user mappings and databases remain

Regards, MICK_c

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom