Multiple Genres? (1 Viewer)

hobbes487

Portal Pro
August 25, 2005
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I'm sure many people have had the same frustration as I have with managing mp3 collections. It is almost impossible for me to put most songs into just one genre. For example Journey's 'Don't Stop Believing' could fall into many genres. Rock, 80's, Ballad, Classic Rock, etc. The problem presents itself when I want to listen to all of my 80's music, it won't play this song if I had it listed under Rock. Also, if want to listen to all 80's rock songs, I can't just play songs tagged as 80's and rock because some rock isn't 80's and vise versa. Does anyone have a good way of managing this dilemma? This doesn't have to be specific to MP if someone has a different solution.

geocas1

Portal Member
January 12, 2007
Home Country
you could change the ID tag for genre to include all the different genres that you want to include the song in , similar to what MP does with the movies (comedy thriller action) where they can be under different genres. then when you do a genre filter just add the desired genre you want.

hobbes487

Portal Pro
August 25, 2005
Home Country
Is this possible in MP? I can see how this could work with something like smart playlists iTunes, but how would I be able to do it in MP?

Also, the problem I see with this is that when I list all of the genres in MP it will it look like this:

Rock
Rock, 80's
Rock, 80's, Ballad
Rock, Classic Rock
Metal, 80's
80's
Rap, 80's
Rap, Hip-Hop

This isn't exactly ideal. Any suggestions?

geocas1

Portal Member
January 12, 2007
Home Country
Well not sure if it would work under MP(sorry about that I was kinda keeping in mind what I do with winamp) but it could possibly be done. The ID tag would have to be modified outside of MP and then MP should pick up on it. I will try a test later on and see if it works. I had to do a similar thing in winamp and this was the way i fixed it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom