Multiple record with SINGLE DVB-T card (1 Viewer)

mediaportal-fr.com

Portal Member
September 18, 2004
France
We saw on http://dvbkivabien2.tk/ an topic talking about recording more than one channel with a single dvb-t card!
So you can also record one and watching an other one with a single dvb-t card!
How doing that ?
You need to use VDR,DVB-t is using "multiplex" (not sur about the english translation)
For the same "multiplex" there is many channels, for example, in france:

R1: France 2, France 3, France 5, France 4, Arte, LCP
R2: Direct 8, TMC (+ 4 coming soon)
R3: Canal+ ( + 4 coming soon)
R4: M6, W9, TF6, Paris Première, AB1, NT1,
R5: (not allotted)
R6: TF1, LCI, Eurosport France, TPS Star, NRJ12

so we can record all channels in a same time in the same "multiplex"
It already possible with a software for linux :
http://vdr.bluox.org/index.php?page=accueil
I found other web site about VDR :
http://www.vdr-wiki.de/wiki/index.php/Hauptseite

Do you think if it'll maybe possible to do the same with MP !

kamrat

Portal Pro
May 24, 2005
Stockholm, Sweden
That would be fantastic!!!

I have a friend who has a DVB-T card with software that can record a whole Mux (that's what we call them in Sweden) at once.
If you play back the recorded file in VLC-player you can select between the four channels in the mux by changeing video track in VLC-player.

In theory I guess MP could deal with a DVB-T card in an intelligent way close to the way it deals with multiple cards.

Let's say that I was watching one channel and wanted to record another channel on the same Mux - then MP should be able to do this.
I could then change channels within the same Mux without problems while MP is recording.
If I tried to change to a channel in another Mux, MP would tell me that there is no card free to show me this channel. Just like it does today.

Is this possible at all? And if it is how much work is it? Does this involve rewriting the whole core software?

/ola

SiLenTYL

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 23, 2004
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    this prolly will never happen

those look like linux apps, which wont work with DirectX

Ropsu80

Portal Pro
    September 19, 2006
    Finland
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    Twinhans cards have this function supported in them, atleast the 2033 card with its own PVR software. Hope to see it in future releases. It´s a pain in the wallet having to buy separate cards to record one channel and watch another.

Kaoh

Portal Pro
    September 11, 2006
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Twinhans cards have this function supported in them, atleast the 2033 card with its own PVR software. Hope to see it in future releases. It´s a pain in the wallet having to buy separate cards to record one channel and watch another.

Still worth it, just then you can record two channels and wath a third :D

bigj

Portal Pro
    January 10, 2005
    There are htpc implementations that actually record *all* muxes continuously.

e.g.
    In UK record all 6 (is it 6?) muxes.
    You only need 6 DVB-T cards and a lot of disk space (do the maths)!
    You leave it recording for say the last month on a rolling basis.
    This way you never have to set a recording again. Just watch any program from the last month of transmission.

HappyChappy

Portal Member
    February 25, 2008
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Has anything been done about this yet? This is exactly what I need from the system. More specifically the TVServer.

BTW Direct X issues have nothing to do with this. DX is just used for the rendering of the image not the tuning.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    With TVServer you can record every channel on same multiplex, or watch one at same time.

if you use MCE remote ok button to bring up now\next it will show available channels in a different colour.

More cards the merrier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom