multiple TV servers (1 Viewer)

melfort

January 13, 2013
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I have two media PC's working with Win 7 and Media Centre - but I want to move across to Media portal

both have quad TBS DVB-T2 tuners in both of them

I want a setup where I can control recording schedules on both PC's through one schedule

I also have a LOT of recordings that I need to keep on multiple drives

any quick tips on how to migrate /setup

I have an old PC with fresh install of Win 7 and tuner that I am using to test setup of media portal before I move over fully

porky996t

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2008
    Bolton, Lancashire, England
    Home Country
    England England
    Hi melfort...welcome!!

I've never seen multiple servers before... maybe somebody else has, however, would it not be easier to put both cards in one PC and then use that as the TV server, with the clients then controlling that?

TLD

Portal Pro
    October 26, 2007
    Rainy Washington
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    TV server doesn't support multiple TV servers (TV tuner cards in more than 1 Computer).

Last edited:

melfort

January 13, 2013
    Home Country
    Oh well back to drawing board again - I have two PC's running Windows Media Centre and it is a bit of a mess -especially as Microsoft messed up and the EPG was dropped for a while at start of year here in the UK - working OK now but I had no listings for HD channels for a while - mucked up series recordings quite a bit - end up recording the same programs over and over again

It is making me look at alternatives for TV recording - I have two PC's both with 4 tuners in them - one is a full height quad DVD-T2 tuner and the other is two half-height dual DVB-T2 tuner cards - I wanted something that could control both boxes.

I was looking at Sat feed but not possible to get dish installed easily here - one installer quoted for a dis

If I rebuild/upgrade what spec PC would I need to record/stream 8 tuners? - I have an old Core2 Quad as main box now & was looking at a new i5

I have a nice quiet AMD-E450 as a media PC but it is not fast enough for Media Centre - recording schedule conflicts take ages to sort out

I have 25TB of storage in use at moment over LOADS of drives both internal & USB - with loads of recordings that I want to import mostly .wtv files + some .dvr-ms

Any ideas welcomed

logifuse

Portal Pro
    January 19, 2011
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Maybe look at Argus as your TV Server: http://www.argus-tv.com/ - you still use MP as your front end(s). I've never tried it, but I remember reading (when Argus was still called ForTheRecord) that it's scale-able (so that you can have multiple recorder PCs).

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Your old recordings might be more suitable for importing into my videos or my tv series rather than the MePo RecordedTV database. Both these modules support having files accross multiple HDDs/Network locations. As above, you can not connect the MePo client to more than one tvserver, why not have the one tv server handle all the recordings and just control that tvserver from 2 seperate clients (one client on the tvserver and one client on your other PC)

The tvserver PC doesn't have to be very fast at all, lots of people run tvserver on very old PCs. The client PC needs to be fast enough to decode video. How many clients will be accessing tv at the same time (8 tuners is quiet a lot for most users).

Last edited:

mbuzina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 11, 2005
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    One of the benefits of MP is that it can record / timeshift a whole transponder with a single tuner. So the need for a lot of tuners is greatly reduced. As long as all programs are on one transponder you can record/view them using only one of your tuners. So this could result in you being able to record 8 programs in parallel with "just" your 4 tuner card.

melfort

January 13, 2013
    Home Country
    Thanks for all the replies - I will look at how I want to setup my system - I might have to do some rebuilding of my PC's

We use the system to record TV programs and watch them later - not much else really - my son loves Cbeebies and wants lots of one program one day and none the next day so have multiple programs recording to keep him happy

I built up my present PC for use with MCE and used 4 tuners in it as the schedules always seem to show the programs I want to watch at the same time on 4+ channels - I built a new PC as a replacement also with 4 tuners - it is quiet but not very fast - fine for recordings but slow on everything else - i am now left with two PC's that do not quite work as I want them to with 8 tuners

If the quad tuner will allow me to record multiple channels at the same time - hopefully the programs I want are on the same transponder - it is a TBS freeview HD card - does that work well with MePo?

Do I need to do anything to get the card to record multiple channels?

Is there a guide on how to import all my old recordings the system - some are TV series (CSI etc) others are films

The problem is that the EPG in MCE sometimes works and sometimes it dosen't and I end up with multiple recordings of the same episode

At the moment my setup is one HD TV downstairs in the main room with the PC attached - I another TV in the spare room upstairs that cannot get HD - my plan is to use PC's as clients attached to the TV's to show recorded TV shows etc

I am getting fed up with MCE not recording programs correctly - but I need to get everything working well before I move it all over to MePo

Is it possible to use one PC to do recordings and then store them on a file server and use multiple clients to access it & schedule recordings etc

porky996t

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2008
    Bolton, Lancashire, England
    Home Country
    England England
    Hi Melfort,

If the quad tuner will allow me to record multiple channels at the same time - hopefully the programs I want are on the same transponder - it is a TBS freeview HD card - does that work well with MePo?

I use the same TBS Quad DVB-T/T2 tuner card and it works really well with MP. I also use the TBS Quad satellite tuner too. As I understand it the UK Freeview HD channels are all on the same transponder. Last night I had 2 channels streaming live SD TV , one streaming live HD TV, 2 recording HD TV and 2 recording SD TV and there were no hiccups at all. The most I have had recording was 7 channels over Xmas, whilst watching a Movie playing back from the server.

Do I need to do anything to get the card to record multiple channels?

No, providing MP is set up OK, all recording should be handled fine by the TV Server part of MP.

Is there a guide on how to import all my old recordings the system - some are TV series (CSI etc) others are films

There is a plug in for MP called MyTVSeries and it allows for easy access of TV series episodes from MP. I have a seperate folder for TV Series, although the plugin can handle multiple folders/disks. However, for TV Series to work correctly the naming convention of the recorded TV series must match that on the TVDB website (this is where all the series info is grabbed from). Generally the format is, for example, Frasier - S07E16, with the suffix being the Season and Episode number. You can set MP to provide season and episode numbers, although I do this manually when I transfer recordings to the 'Series' HDD.
    Additionally there is a plugin called MovingPictures which handles all the films. Again, MovingPictures can handle multiple folders/HDD and on the surface of it works in a similar way to TVSeries and makes selecting films a pleasurable experience.

At the moment my setup is one HD TV downstairs in the main room with the PC attached - I another TV in the spare room upstairs that cannot get HD - my plan is to use PC's as clients attached to the TV's to show recorded TV shows etc

In essence MP is composed of two parts, the "TV Server" and the "Media Client", these can be installed individually or together. Generally, the usual setup is to have a central 'server', (this can also have the MP client installed so you can use it to watch TV). All the other clients are connected to this via the network and the clients can then control the server part and access all the stored media on the server. If you look at my signature, you can see how mine system is set up. BTW, I can watch HD TV on all clients via the network.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom