Multiple video directories under one virtual folder (1 Viewer)

tippmann007

Portal Member
January 14, 2005
Bloomington, Indiana
I have Media Portal setup with multiple drives and multiple folders. I'm wondering if there is a way to have all my videos show up on the mediaportal video page without having to navigate to different locations. Can it be done with shortcuts of every folder to a central directory? will the album art still display?

Any ideas? I know Vista is supposed to have virtual folders but i can't find any program thta will allow this in XP.

Thanks

bigj

Portal Pro
January 10, 2005
It's posible to 'mount' a drive at any folder.

e.g. I have a physical drive 'M:\' that I use for music.
But I have a mount point on my general 'media' disk at D:\MEDIA\MUSIC.

To do this (at your own risk):

Click Start -> Right Click on My Computer -> Manage.
Select Disk Management.
Right click the disk you want to mount (e.g. 'M') and select Chane Driver Letter and Paths.
Now add a new path (folder) for your drive. (e.g. 'D:\Media\Music')

For general purpose 'symbolic links' look at sysinternals Junction tool.
(I've not used this myself).

HTH
BigJ.

tippmann007

Portal Member
January 14, 2005
Bloomington, Indiana
Thanks Big J.
That is what i'm talking about.

The next question would be do you think the imdb data base would still be ok even though i have changed the directory of my video files? I know I would have to go into teh mediaportal setup and change the path for which MP looks for my video files, but would the imdb database still be ok?

Thanks for answering my first question.

bigj

Portal Pro
January 10, 2005
tippmann007 said:
Thanks Big J.
The next question would be do you think the imdb data base would still be ok even though i have changed the directory of my video files?

I don't know - why don't you just try it?

Jetboy

Portal Pro
April 15, 2005
Stockholm
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
tippmann007 said:
The next question would be do you think the imdb data base would still be ok even though i have changed the directory of my video files? I know I would have to go into teh mediaportal setup and change the path for which MP looks for my video files, but would the imdb database still be ok?
Yeah, it works. You'll have to go through all your videos in the database and change the file path, but the IMDB info will still be there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom