erichzann

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 25, 2011
    Oxford
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi All,

I have been trying to decide whether to go for a Lovefilm or a Netflix account recently.

I have chosen to go with Netflix for a number of reasons:

• Everything you see you can watch, unlike Lovefilm which has some box office titles not included.
    • Larger range of TV Shows.
    • Streaming on the Netflix Android App.
    • TV Show episodes are grouped under the TV Show rather than as separate search items.
    One other bonus is that whilst there is no UK Netflix or Lovefilm plugin for MP is that the Netflix interface is perfect for navigating from the Sofa.

I have integrated Netflix into MP + Streamed MP using the MultiShortcut plugin to open in Chrome, in Kiosk mode. It's a really seamless experience and works great. Closing it with Alt+F4 works perfectly.
    Here's some screenshots below.

Although the steps are very easy I can easily add them to either this post or the Wiki so that other people can use this.

Would anyone mind if I created a Wiki page for the MultiShortcut plugin, as I don't believe one exists at the moment?

Thanks

Image 1.png

Image 2.png

Last edited:

toricred

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 29, 2006
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I know that I would greatly appreciate seeing the instructions as I haven't had a lot of success with any other method of getting Netflix working in MP.

erichzann

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 25, 2011
    Oxford
    Home Country
    No problems. Here are the steps to follows:

Installing MultiShortcut Plugin

I have attached the very latest version of the plugin with the latest .dll. This will work with MP 1.2.3
    1. Extract the MultiShortcut.rar and copy both the DLLFix.exe and MultiShortcut00.dll files from the MultiShortcut\MediaPortal\plugins\Windows directory into your local MP plugins directory which can be found at C:\Program Files (x86)\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\plugins\Windows.
    2. Create a folder called MultiShortcut in your local language folder located at C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\language.
    3. Copy the 3 language files, from MultiShortcut\language\ into the Multishortcut folder you created in step 2.
    Creating Netflix Shortcut
    1. Rename the file MultiShortcut00.dll which you copied into your plugin folder to Netflix.dll.
    2. Run the DLLFix.exe.
    3. Open MP configuration and you should see the following:
    MP Config.png

Configure the Netflix Shortcut

1. Right-click on the Netflix icon in the MP config and select configuration:

Netflix Config.png
    If you are using the StreamedMP skin then you only need to fill in a couple of fields on this screen:
    • Plugin ID - make a note of this as you will need it later.
    • ButtonCaption - enter Netflix here (this is not actually needed if using StreamedMp)
    • Exefile - Point to Chrome.ex which is usually at
    C:\Users\Your Username\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe

Configure StreamedMP

1. Extract the attached files Netflix Files.rar.
    2. In here there is the background file and also the StreamedMP XML.
    3. Copy the Netflix.xml to the following local directory C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\skin\StreamedMP
    4. Open this Netflix.xml file in notepad and change the plugin ID in the file to match the one that you recorded from the Netflix Shortcut configuration above.
    5. Create a folder called Netflix somewhere on your local machine and copy in the file default.png. I like to put this in the following location C:\ProgramData\TeamMediaPortal\MediaPortal\skin\StreamedMP\Netflix
    6. Launch the StreamedMP Basic Home Editor and navigate to the Basic Home Design tab.
    7. View the available plugins by xml and you should be able to see the Netflix.xml.
      Streamedmp config.png
    8. Simply add a title and select the single image folder and point to the folder which contains the default.png and then click add.
    9. Generate menu and you are good to go!!!
    Enjoy!!!

Attachments

• MultiShortcut.rar
      1,022.4 KB
    • Netflix Files.rar
      104 KB
    Last edited:

spacemanc

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 20, 2011
    Great guide, but I have a slight problem - it opens the browser page in the background whilst MP stays on top - I presume this is down to some kind of 'always on top' setting?

Also I wondered if there was a way of making it open as a Google Chrome app instead of a browser window, as it looks much better (eg - go to netflix home page, then go to tools/create application shortcuts in the Chrome browser settings - open the shortcut it creates and you'll see it looks much better.

By the way, you might want to check this out if you're a UK user of netflix:

http://tunlr.net/

Its basically a free version of 'Unblock US' - it gives UK users of Netflix access to the FAR superior US catalogue.

erichzann

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 25, 2011
    Oxford
    Home Country
    In MP Configuration there is a setting 'Keep MP on Top' which can be disabled.

I tried the application shortcut but it doesn't look as good in my opinion.

Remember that I am opening the browser in Kiosk mode. My screenshot of the browser above, showing the Netflix page, is not cropped. That is how it looks on my TV with no border and fullscreen.

Habanero

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 19, 2011
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Have followed your guide until I get to "run DLLFix". It starts up but an error window pops up: DLLFfix stopped working and Windows terminates the program.

I am using Windows 7 64 bit.

Solved: I right clicked on DLLfix and chose "run as administrator"

Last edited:

Habanero

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 19, 2011
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Works perfectly! Thanks a lot.

Question: Can I repeat the steps, making same for Lovefilm?

Rename an extra dll called Lovefilm.dll? I am in doubt if I will currupt something when I execute DLLFix, since there is now 2 dll's renamed from the originally dll? Also, do I need to copy more language files?

erichzann

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 25, 2011
    Oxford
    Home Country
    Works perfectly! Thanks a lot.

Question: Can I repeat the steps, making same for Lovefilm?

Rename an extra dll called Lovefilm.dll? I am in doubt if I will currupt something when I execute DLLFix, since there is now 2 dll's renamed from the originally dll? Also, do I need to copy more language files?

Great.
    That is exactly how you use the Multishortcut Plugin. I have two running. One for Netflix and one for Sky Go.
    You just need to repeat the 2 steps for however many shortcuts you need:

1. Rename the file MultiShortcut00.dll which you copied into your plugin folder to ........
    2. Run the DLLFix.exe.

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Hi again.
    I followed your setup. I think using Kylo instead of Chrome might be a better solution, as it supports remotes and gives gui-options like "close" etc. ... I recommend everyone to give it a try.
    http://kylo.tv/

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom